the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Indian frog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loppylugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Indian frog
    Posted: 27 Nov 2005 at 5:30pm

Hi

I'm new to the list. I appreciate that this is a UK-based site but can anyone identify these amphbians, which I saw in their hundreds in India on a recent trip, please? The females were about 10cm. They were all very loud singers! Thanks. Loppylugs

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2005 at 6:35pm

Well they look alot like Water Frogs which are found all over Europe - the stripe is like what is found in introduced water frogs in the UK - there are many different species which are identified in Europe - I would imagine that these would be a 'water frog' species - an Indian species? The water frogs are much more aquatic than our native frog which belongs to the Brown Frogs - while the other species are also called green frogs - the pointed noses on those do suggest a Marsh type the colour is also very interesting - any other people could put a species name to these frogs?

Regards

JC

Loppylugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loppylugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 4:11am

Hi there

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, it certainly looks like a more aquatically inclined amphibian although, since it was obviously breeding at the time, it would be hard to say. I have looked all over the place for a similar picture to help me identify the species but have found nothing - it's the yellowness of them that was so striking - could this be a 'mating special' look ? Below is another picture of a lone male. The females were a bit less gaudy! Cheers, Loppylugs.

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 4:47am

Snap! - here is a picture of a water frog from Kempton Park Race course - your Indian frogs have a more pointed nose - but there are similarities - the colour in your frogs may be due to breeding

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 4:55am

I have found a pointed head Frog Rana alticola which is found in India through to Thailand - cant find a picture of this frog though - but its Indian common name does fit the bill

Regards

JC

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 4:56am

Definitely a Water Frog Species

JC

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Loppylugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loppylugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 5:17am

Hi

Caleb has it, I think. Here's a pic I found after Googling his suggestion. I'm pretty sure it IS the Indian Bullfrog. Thank you so much for sorting this out. I took so many pictures of wild life throughout India, including various amphibians and reptiles. I managed to identify most creatures but these had me stumped and they were so breathtaking to see in all their singing glory, which I recorded with the photos I took - it was quite something. Thanks again! LL

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 5:49am

What sound were they making? was a heavy slow croak (cow like) or was it a laughing? Where were the vocal sacs were they under the chin or were they paired vocal sacs?

JC

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 5:56am

What colour were they?

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Loppylugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loppylugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 6:08am

Hi JC

I know it sounds a bit tame but I can't remember the sound off the top of my head. When I get home tonight I'll find the appropriate sound file and have a listen. I think it was a loud, deep 'greedep', a bit like a spring being wound up so, probably more of a croak than a laugh!

As for the vocal sacs, to be honest I didn't notice any. It's difficult to explain but I was one of 17 travellers on an overland truck. The fact that the driver stopped at all for me to look at these frogs was surprising enough - hence I didn't have that long and didn't take in all the details, just took the photos and made a quick sound recording, sorry. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers, LL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic