the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Adder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Adder
    Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 3:46pm
Dorset 14th December.

Unusually mild weather and bright sunshine tempted this female out to bask today.

This population began showing early - Feb 10th - this year. Late to bed and early to rise!

Apart from the Wall lizards I should think that will be it now till next year. Looking forwards to a productive 2017.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 5:45pm
that's warmed my cockles, well doneSmile
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 7:02pm
Thanks Will.

(I'm surprised your cockles need warming)
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:08pm
Lovely, warm here too during the day but cold at night, and very good spot in the undergrowth, so well camouflaged!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:20am
@Ray LOL  I'm not getting any younger..
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Up and running again in the south of England.

Six Adders at one site at midday on Thursday 16th February 2017.
The last sighting in 2016 was on the 22nd December giving a 'closed season' here of just 55 days.

I have visited the site several times this year when conditions felt close to being just right but no luck, probably due in the main  to a chilly wind crossing the site. Today good sunshine and no wind. As I stood feeling pretty smug and watching the snakes a local old boy walking his dog shuffled past and said, "I saw them out over a week ago."

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
Great to see such clear photo's, still surprised they are out so early, it is warm with the sun out but very chilly otherwise.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:21pm
Great stuff! Good photos. 
Suz
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:31pm
Thanks for the comments.

Same area.
Joined by a couple of extra snakes today, and a male Slow Worm (not pictured).

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:57pm
Nice one Ray, glad they're out in sunny Dorset.  I'll give my London sites a try this weekend if the weather is decent.  Interesting obs re the closed season of 55 days - I remember Malcolm Smith's calculation of around 150 days for adders in his 1951 book - global warming or maybe just that people didn't think to look for them so early and so late?  I suspect a bit of both.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic