the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is this lizard so special?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is this lizard so special?
    Posted: 25 Apr 2005 at 7:04am

So why is the lizard so special you may ask...

..because it lives in our garden  , nice to see them back again, I've been watching out since early March (and yes the tyre was put in our wildlife garden specifically for their benefit!)

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2005 at 7:44am
Ah Yush , That makes it a very special lizard indeedy!

Congrats
Al
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2005 at 9:00am
Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 6:39am

You are lucky indeed!

Sorry to report the photo didn't come out on my email and I had to go to the website to see it.

Anyone else having this problem or is it me and my settings?

Michael

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 8:39am

Micheal,

When pictures are mounted on an external site such as photoshop.com the full address or URL is copied to the post. The notification email therefore contains the full URL to the image, so it is viewable in emails provided you have an internet connection at the time.

It appears that images such as the lizard posted using the forums upload facility are accessed by the relative path to the forums, not the full URL (right clicking on an image will reveal the full URL but I guess it is being appended at some point by the forum). Notification emails therefore do not contain enough information to display the images submitted via this method - strange though that the emoticons seem to be sent OK.

I'm not developing the current forum any further as we will soon be switching to an MS SQL version, though I can take a look at how the notification emails are handled in the new version and perhaps included embedded images in notification emails. This would solve the problem as they can be 'fixed' in the email using their relative path, it would also make the images in emails viewable whilst working off-line. The current mail component is aspmail so there is plenty of room for development.

Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 10:33am

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for the explanation, which I just about understand, but the problem is not solved as I am on broadband and the image should therefore have appeared!

Having said that, I don't think it is worth spending any time on at this stage, especially if you are "switching to an MS SQL version".

Michael (Wish I had lizards in my garden)

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 10:58am

Broadband makes no difference it handles URLs in the same way as dial up, the URL embedded in the notification emails is not complete, see below:

The top picture shows on the forum right? But it only has the relative path to the images file on rauk Images/banners/forums%20banner%20copy.gif so it will not show in a notification email opened on your computer at home as the relative path is meaningless.

The bottom image has the full URL http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/Images/banners/forums%20banner%20copy.gif  and I'm fairly sure it will be visible in notification emails whilst your online.

Embedded images ensure the image information is actually part of the email, not just a path to a file, thus solving the problem.

The lizards colonised our wildlife garden just a few weeks after we built a large hardcore based hibernation bund and extensive brash and log piles close to a new pond.

We've been lucky, we now have lizards, smooth newts and common frogs. (just the grass snakes and slow-worms to come, we don't have a close enough adder population as far as I know to expect colonisation)

Some references state that viviparous lizards are not often found in gardens because of predation by garden birds. We have found that brash piles give sufficient cover for the lizards regardless of the fact that we have an extremely active bird table and nest boxes within 50 feet of where the picture was taken.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic