the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which ones confused?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which ones confused?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:13pm

a friend took this in a pic of me holding these beauties thought the male looked rather big in on the pond bottom, a closer look and i saw he was a frog, managed to catch them for the pic, ive not seen this before hope he let go and let a toad on to fertilise the eggs!

Mike Lister BSc hons Ecology & Env management
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 4:36pm
Ha! That's interesting Could a frogs sperm fertalise a toads spawn ? It would certainly answer the question of my weird frog in my pond
O-> O+>
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2006 at 6:07pm
I've seen this several times at some of sites where reasonable numbers of toads and frogs both breed. It may be more likely to occur when the weather has delayed some or all of the frogs reaching the pond until the toads are on their way. This year up here there were a couple of wet nights when frogs started returning in large numbers but then it was very cold and the rest of the frogs together with the toads all moved quickly at the end of March. In a "normal" year frogs have spawned a couple of weeks before the toads but this year there has been a lot of late frog spawn at the same time as the toads were spawning. So not surprising some male frogs get confused in the mele.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2006 at 3:57am

Do female frogs and toads have release calls? male frogs and toads have a release call for when an excited male jumps on them by mistake - it is what most people hear from toads - they tend to wait for the females along their migration routes - a squeak or several squeaks can be heard from ditches or hedgerows - males being told to shove off I'm male - look at my nuptial pads!

If the female toad has a release call - the frog may not understand and so keeps holding on - the same happens when frogs grap fish - goldfish or koi - no release call from these animals and so the frog rides around on the fish.

JC

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2006 at 5:30am

Jon, according to the literature female common toads have no call or voice. I've yet to hear a sound from one so tend think this is accurate.

Male common toads have both an advertisement croak and the distinctive fast repeated release call.

Ewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 1:24pm
Came upon this interesting menage a trois in North Norfolk this spring..

Ewan Shilland
Contract Research Scientist
Environmental Change Research Centre
University College London
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic