the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of Lizard is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterMute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of Lizard is this?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 3:10pm
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and local lizards in general :)

I saw this Lizard on my garden wall the other day, and I'm not sure whether it's a Common or Sand lizard?

Um, thanks for any help!

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 3:28pm

Hi and welcome !

Looks like a male Wall lizard to me (Podarcis muralis?). Its not a native lizard, but we have many thriving colonies, started from (probably) introduced stock.

I'm guessing you probably live in Ventnor or on the south coast near Bournemouth ?

(I was going to provide a link to the ID pages for alien species...but there's no piccy of a wall lizard yet....nudge )

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
WinterMute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterMute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 4:14pm
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I live in Shoreham - Just to the west of Brighton, on the south coast, so you were right there :)

If it is a Wall Lizard, and the site needs a picture of one feel free to use them ;)

Thanks again!
WinterMute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterMute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 4:49pm
By the by, if it is used would it be possible to get the photographers name on it, I know it would mean a lot to her: Karen Matthews.

Thanks again! (again)
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2005 at 5:19pm

Hi. Sorry i'm a bit late responding to this - if I had logged on recently I would ahve added Shoreham as a guess as this is more typical of the Shoreham Beach animals than any of the other colonies I am aware of.

Certainly a male - for information these are an Italian sub-species (probably Podarcis muralis nigriventris if my memory serves me correctly). They were introduced during the 70's by a local herpetologist who noted a potential unfilled ecological niche.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
djp_phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp_phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2006 at 2:28pm
That's a common wall lizard,
Very pretty, looks a little like the sub-species from near Rome.
Reptiles & Amphibians of France:
www.herpfrance.com

European Field Herping Community:
www.euroherp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic