the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WALL LIZARDS WHOSE FOR OR AGAINST THEM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WALL LIZARDS WHOSE FOR OR AGAINST THEM
    Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 12:56pm

JUST be interested to know the overall attitude on the
 introduction of themKEITH

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 6:25pm
Same, same old story..ah well.
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 6:50pm

Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

JUST be interested to know the overall attitude on the
 introduction of themKEITH

I didn't know podarcis sicula was an introduction, Keith? ; )

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Davew Davew wrote:

Wasn't an attempt made to exterminate a Wall Lizard colony last summer - how did that go

I think 'exterminate' is a little harsh, Dave. The prime Dorset habitat where L.agilis has coincidentally dissapeared since the introduction of muralis, has caused concern for various people round here that want any of the few remaining areas suited to the future and safeguard of agilis's survival, to stay that way. As you say, this topic was done to death last year, and i think most people got to aire their views on the matter then. However, to answer your other question, i don't personally have a problem if an introduced species resides somewhere where it is not likely to compete or threaten in any way a native species, especially a species that is known to fall under the title 'nationally endangered fauna/flora'.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 2:55am
hi Alex & Davew I borrowed this pic from a sight called (The Alien Lizards of Topeka) just type this title in to google you might find it interesting its about Euro wall lizards that have been introduced into Kansas US.
KEITH

Edited by AGILIS
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Davew Davew wrote:

Anyway I'm personally against the introduction of aliens and the re introduction of naturals

hi Davew I cant see why you have a problem with the reintroduction of naturals as many of us think  this is the best way  we can preserve our declining species that have lost so much habitat in this country over the years .keith

Edited by AGILIS
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 4:21am

Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

hi Alex Davew I borrowed this pic from a sight called (The Alien Lizards of Topeka) just put is title in to google you might find it interesting its about Euro wall lizards that have been introduced into Kansas US.
KEITH

Cheers Keith, shall have a search : ) . I think this coming mondays 'Life in Cold Blood' is all about lizards, and David Attenborough will be showing the green and wall lizards that are inhabiting the Dorset coast (?).

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 5:03am
I personally love seeing Wall lizards in the UK, they add that little extra bit of diversity and  interest in parts of the South.

I am strongly against their introduction in places where they may impact upon our native ecosystem. We don't know for certain that they have a negative influence on native species, but not knowing is no excuse for introducing them.

They are also full of alien pathogens, and we don't know how such organisms will affect native Sand lizards...we really don't want a repeat of the Red Squirrel issue!

In summary...no problems where they occupy an isolated ecological niche...but introduction where they may affect native species is downright irresponsible!

my 2 cents.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 7:17am
Yep..thanks
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 9:32am

Hi - to answer the two points;

How is exterminate harsh. People caught Wall Lizards and though supposed "nature lovers" actually killed them. Exterminate seems about right to me.

In the birding world many reintroductions have been made perhaps the most famous being the Red Kite. I can see only one reason for reintroducing an extremely abundant world species into a country where it hadn't been truly present for centuries - vanity. Somebody had the "nice " idea that wouldn't it be lovely if Red Kites were back here and with no more firm reason than that it started (and yes I've looked into it and I couldn't find a concrete reason). Waste of time and money. If a species is globablly threatened then perhaps it's worth it otherwise why bother.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic