the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 12:42pm
camping in charmouth over the next few days. mainly fossils but may get out on a reptile search. where id the nearest wall colony?

cheers
tim

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:39pm
I would think Portland Tim from where you are.
Others might have better suggestions.
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 5:50am
Well Tim if you want a 100% sitings do the extra miles to Boscombe on the zigzag path their always there even with high density people milling around keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:22am
Hi Tim - agree with Suz re Portland; Cheyne Weare has not disappointed me in the past - brown-backed form lizards are common in the disused quarry (along with adder, viv lizard and slowworm) - be careful though, as the path into it runs very close to the cliff edge!!

Also Abbotsbury Swannery has green backed wall lizards - west of Chesil Beach

Happy hunting!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:25am
If you check out the excellent wall lizard info on the sarg website it looks as if your nearest colony would be at Abbottsbury, a few miles east of you. I've never been to check this location so can't vouch for their existence. If there was no joy there you could continue on to Portland where wall lizards certainly do sunbathe on the rocks along the coast.

As Keith says, for certainty have a day out in Bournemouth.

Look forwards to seeing any photos you get.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:29am
Must have been typing my reply as Will was posting his advice.

Definitely Abbottsbury then would be your closest colony.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:40am
great minds...

I've not done Abbotsbury myself but I have heard the colony still exists - I think it can be found around the car park on walls as well as inside, if, like me, you are a cheapskate!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
As might be expected, many Pm out and about along the prom today. Numbers out for the bright sunshine.

Found one area where winged ants were emerging from an underground colony. The nearby lizards were closing in from all directions presenting some interesting confrontations between all present. One "Beachmaster" seemed to get things it's own way with everything getting out of the path. Other lizards were left to sort things out by posing and chasing. It made interesting watching for a while - until I got too hot and had to find an ice cream. (Sympathy not required here!)

Lizards playground. The ants were emerging from the Hottentot Fig in the middle.

Lizards closing in on the food source.

One juv. grabs an ant and eats it quickly before others move in.

Result of previous conflict? (Or maybe a Herring Gull)

Beachmaster!

Meanwhile, further along the beach...

Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm
Half a dozen hardy lizards out catching the rays this morning along by Branksome Dean, Bournemouth.

A 'reptile fix' whilst waiting for the season proper to begin.

An adult thinking about it.

One of last year's youngsters.

Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:34pm
First post for a while.

Needless to say the wall lizard colonies in this neck of the woods seem to be doing okay.

Couple of photos of gravid females seen at Durlston this morning. Clearly this colony not just hanging on, but expanding.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic