the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizard - Alien Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrazello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall Lizard - Alien Status
    Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 6:26am
Hello Forum.
I am a third year student of Environmental Science. Currrently I am writing an assignment on alien species and have chosen to argue the case that the alien vs. native species debate is outdated and not always appropriate esp. in light of changing global climate.
I want to draw a comparison between the little ringed plover which has native status (despite the first breeding pair in 1938) and the wall lizard afforded protection in Europe but not in England due to its alien status.
If the wall lizard is not a threat to a native ecosystem, it seems somewhat counterproductive in terms of preserving global biodiversity to not afford it protection in the UK. Can the forum offer an opinion on this?

I am also wondering if the wall lizard can be stated as inhabiting mostly artificially created environments?
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 2:44pm
Hi Arrazello, & welcome.

"If the wall lizard is not a threat to a native ecosystem"

This has not been proved definitively either way, but anecdotal evidence, and recent research suggests a negative impact upon both Sand lizard and Common lizard status.

In the UK it is true that the Wall lizard is most often associated with man-made structures (including quarries) and cliff-faces; although there are exceptions.

Please keep us posted with your assignment !

cheers,

Steve
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 7:30pm

If the wall lizard was threatened as a species in another country perhaps we might cherish ours more but it thrives in all its haunts does it not?

The little ringed plover got here under its own steam I presume. Not the case with the wall lizards. The plover has not reached huge numbers has it? I don't think it adversely affects other birds.

I don't quite understand how you can say the alien/native debate is outdated unless you are going to be very selective about what you favour. I'm thinking rabbit, grey squirrel and Canada geese as fairly unwelcome. It would be interesting to hear more of your ideas.

Suz
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 4:56am

I am a third year student of Environmental Science. Currrently I am writing an assignment on alien species and have chosen to argue the case that the alien vs. native species debate is outdated and not always appropriate esp. in light of changing global climate.

I agree with that to a certain extent as it is human activity which has introduced many hundreds of species around the world, it is also down to our views of what the world should be (species etc) that drives the debate with alien verses natives -

I want to draw a comparison between the little ringed plover which has native status (despite the first breeding pair in 1938) and the wall lizard afforded protection in Europe but not in England due to its alien status.

As with all these bird migrations there may have been a human element to them establishing themselves in the UK - other examples include the collared dove - was that introduced or did it make it to the UK by its own?

I have also come across other species on my travels which are said to have come to the UK through their own steam - Eagle Owls and Cranes - a question often remains were they in fact introductions? and does that really matter?

If the wall lizard is not a threat to a native ecosystem, it seems somewhat counterproductive in terms of preserving global biodiversity to not afford it protection in the UK. Can the forum offer an opinion on this?

It would be interesting to draw on the situation in Jersey where the Wall lizards are suspected as introductions but are afforded full protection under Jersey State Wildlife Laws - All their herpetofauna is fully protected - grass snake, common toad, wall lizard, slowworm and green lizard - I think the palmate newt may be except - here the wall lizards are found on fortifications and other large buildings even one of the fort islands has a population. A study into the genetics of the wall lizards here is looking at where they may have come from or their native status may be supported. 

I am still of the opinion that there are other factors which tip the balance in favour of the wall lizard when native species are present and are found to be declining.

I saw the presentation at the BHS meeting last year regarding the wall lizards and viviparous lizards. The results were interesting and I noted that the viviparous lizards were near cover (scrub, gorse etc) while the walls were near paths and much drier areas of the site (I assume) - perhaps the management of the site needs to be looked iinto alongside the possible bias in the survey results due to the detectability of walls over vivs?

I am also wondering if the wall lizard can be stated as inhabiting mostly artificially created environments?

Mostly artificial habitats - walls, stockades, forts, etc but they do live within cliff faces, rocky outcrops and other more semi natural habitats aswell.

J

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 10:15am
Hi - Collared Dove was a totally natural invasion. I don't think there has ever been any suggestion that the current Eagle Owls are nothing more than establishing escapes. Again with the Cranes I think it's sort of understood (but not proven) that the original few were introduced with numbers bolstered by occasional breeding successes and immigrants.

Edited by Davew
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 10:23am

Eagle owls are breeding in this country successfully for a number of years - some people say they were introduced or were escapees but there has been a suggestion that they made their own way across the north sea as they have been spotted on oil rigs apparently so it is possible that some have come over - but I also think that this is a potential native species for the UK like the other species which were hunted to extinction - lynx, wolf, bear, beaver etc

Collar doves are suggested that some were escapees from private bird collections in previous centuries.

the debates will rage on and on

J

Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 10:55am

It is very possible that Eagle Owls have come over under their own steam but short of a ringing recovery it would be impossible to tell as they're so common in captivity and some authorites quote the escaped breeding population as 40 pairs+. A bit high in my opinion! It's a very odd situation, apparently the RSPB set up a viewing point for a pair of these birds in Bowland last year. When they had finished breeding "apparently" remains of Hen Harriers were found around the nest with Hen Harriers being the reason the RSPB owned the surrounding moorland. Don't know how true that is? Incidentally some oil companies do release Eagle Owls onto oil platforms to control Starlings which may find there way out there. Surely one would atract another so although I wasn't aware of any oil platform records of this species it certainly seems very likely.

I've never heard that Colared Dove theory before. I don't think escapes would have altered things as the species literally exploded across Europe during the first half of the 20th century and is stil quoted as one of the most amazingly fast colonisations of any bird species.

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 11:13am
Exactly why people alway question the given theory of how they got over here - changes in climate perhaps who knows

I am correct in thinking that the eagle owls was once native to the UK?

anyway the wall lizards in my opinion do not pose a 'significant' threat to our native lizards compared to the other main reasons why our native lizards are declining - which of course is habitat loss due to human activity -

Why spend money controlling a non native when the money can be better spent elsewhere which would actually do some good - habitat recreation on a large landscale scale perhaps would be a more beneficial venture for nature conservation.....

It makes me laugh concerning Ruddy Duck cull in England - when the simple solution to conserving the white headed duck is to cull the small number of ruddies which make their way to Spain etc but no a massice eradication project in the UK is the way to go despite the fact that it is large scale habitat loss and hunting which is knackering the white headed duck population

J

Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 5:16pm

Hi - Yes I believe there are historical and or fossil records indicating Eagle Owl in our past.

I totally agree with those points. I don't have the exact figures but would imagine at least a million was spent on the Ruddy Duck cull resulting in more scattered breeding populations and the deaths of several scarce species which to the shooters looked like Ruddy duck and were mistaken for such. Including an actual White-headed Duck, probably an escape but still a major balls up.

I think the important thing is that the public should be made aware of the consequences of releasing these aliens. sounds like a long shot I know but if culls are failing what other options are there.

Just a thought here and legalities aside, ie I know it's illegal but for the sake of argument lets ignore that for now. If future research points to the neccessary control of Wall Lizard why couldn't the animals just be caught and transferred to the various quarries on Portland where there are no Sand Lizards and from where the Wall lizards could never spread?

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 5:27pm

Probably a no goer as I believe that the higher powers would want to see animals removed and not released.

It is simple to lay the blame at the Wall lizards door when it could be a host of other factors which are affecting the native populations - genetics, management, micro climate etc

The wall lizards detectablity is reasonably high so it would give the impression that they are taking over when it can possibly be the management regime of the habitat favouring the walls over the viviparous -

J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic