the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vipera Berus extinction from Counties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vipera Berus extinction from Counties
    Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:08pm
I am under the impression it's not just Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire that have been noted for habitat and Berus loss. Is there a list of other counties?
I believe Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire are also sadly in this list :-(
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:16am
Don't know about the other counties, but adders have been very scarce in Cambridgeshire since the fens were drained. I've only heard of one confirmed site in the county, and this is now a NNR.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:35pm
just to add briefly that there are persistent rumours of one site in Herts, but on private land and we have never been able to access it.  If they are there, they're probably as inbred as you can get, so perhaps best to consider adder in Hertfordshire as extinct anyway, even if this is the case.  All other reports of adder in the county have turned out (after more than 15 years of chasing them up) to be grass snake or slowworm

Cheers

Will
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic