the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > ARG UK - Amphibian & Reptile Groups of the UK > ARG UK
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trapping days required for reptile translocations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trapping days required for reptile translocations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noots88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trapping days required for reptile translocations
    Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 10:40am
Hi,

I'm writing a presentation for university in which I must pretend the people I am giving the presentation to are clients and I am an ecological consultant who has found slow worms and common lizards on their site for development.

I am trying to work out how many days would typically be required for translocations but am finding wildly differing numbers of days. The site is 3.5 hectares of decent reptile habitat, and I have come up with figures that within the Froglife guidelines suggest 'good' populations of both SW and CL. I was told the HGBI guidelines are the best for determining trapping days, but they require a better population estimate (so many per hectare) whereas Froglife just wants a peak count. Using a crude estimate this suggests a minimum of 70 trapping days. That seemed larger than I thought was typical so I got hold of the retracted Natural England guidelines and for this situation they state less than 30 days are required. The presentation is to ecological consultants so I don't want to get caught out but what are the best guidelines? And what is typical?

Thanks,
Jamie.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic