the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tick loads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:51am
I had a tick on a GCN a couple of years ago, which was unusual. It was on the back or side of the neck and had apparently caused an infection in the animal, or the animal was selected because it was already infected and weak. It was bloated all over.
Kogia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:58pm
I should point out, I wasn't trying to suggest my way was the expert or 'correct' way to remove ticks, just that I had not encountered any problems with the way that seemed to be swiftest and most commonly used method in places where access to tweezers or other tools was limited. Follow best practice when and where you can, but sometimes the most ideal method doesn't fit the situation and I don't like to give the impression that every other way will lead to certain doom.

I also wasn't implying my method gave any clue about how sand lizards might remove them. I would imagine that like most animals they have ways to at least partially reduce tick loads and maybe the armpit area is one they struggle to deal with. Not based on any studious knowledge at all, but I would imagine they would bite ticks off themselves in areas where they can reach?
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:59pm

And I didn't mean to cast doubt on your description of your experience; it's different from mine, that's all, and from what a lot of published warnings describe. Maybe there is a knack. Or maybe the tropical ticks are larger and not so fragile. The advice is to make them let go by touching them with a hot needle, or to drown them in paraffin or vaseline before removing. Or slide a needle under the head, between the jaws, before applying force.

It certainly is a puzzle why ticks aren't to be found so often on Common Lizards. Their absence from Wall Lizards isn't so surprising, I think, since ticks will only be present where there are deer (or sheep), and the Wall Lizard isn't such an inhabitant of heathland, is it? I've seen a lot of pictures of infested Green Lizards. Sand Lizards and Green Lizards are slower in their undisturbed movements than Common and Wall, I suppose.

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Kogia Kogia wrote:

I should point out, I wasn't trying to suggest my way was the expert or 'correct' way to remove ticks, just that I had not encountered any problems with the way that seemed to be swiftest and most commonly used method in places where access to tweezers or other tools was limited. Follow best practice when and where you can, but sometimes the most ideal method doesn't fit the situation and I don't like to give the impression that every other way will lead to certain doom.

I also wasn't implying my method gave any clue about how sand lizards might remove them. I would imagine that like most animals they have ways to at least partially reduce tick loads and maybe the armpit area is one they struggle to deal with. Not based on any studious knowledge at all, but I would imagine they would bite ticks off themselves in areas where they can reach?

Well it sort of can lead to certain doom, because grasping with fingers and twisting is a good way to inject the sucked blood in the tick back into the animal/person/self. Not a good plan. 

The point was if it takes so much effort for us to remove a tick, it would seem to me a lizard would be lumbered with it and would have no way of removing them themselves.
Kogia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:55am
There is definitely a 'best practice' for tick removal, but sometimes the situation or circumstances don't allow that to be suitable. Unless I were advising in a legal capacity, then I wouldn't wish to suggest that every other method is incorrect and will more certainly lead to disastrous regurgitation. It seems to be that the concern for the risk of ticks regurgitating has now progressed into, this will happen if you don't follow this set method. The same warnings also apply to leeches and yet also in places where I've lived with abundant leeches, the general consensus seems to be to just pull them off.

I feel like I need to separate what I said above from any reference to sand lizards, how we deal with ticks and how wild animals deal with ticks are not something I'd wish to try and link. My knowledge of how lizards deal with ectoparasites is limited, but many animals have limited ways of removal, do reptiles not?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:30am
Yes I agree there should be a separation between how animals remove ticks and best practice.

It is however a somewhat necessary thing on a forum like this to give the best practice as those reading the posts may well be in contact with ticks in the field and therefore need to remove them from themselves at some point. (As I have on several occasions).

Even with the recommended or correct method it takes a good deal of effort to actually get them off. I think it perfectly reasonable that one might then assume lizards would have difficulty in achieving this and therefore the most plausible explanations for the concentrations we observe are skin exposure and/or heat concentration, rather than poor ability of the lizard to gain access to the area to remove the ticks itself. 

It's all opinion, that is the general concept of a discussion forum, but of several ideas put forward including my own previous thoughts on sexual dimorphism being a factor, which I would now disregard, this to me makes the most sense. 
Kraftykarl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraftykarl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:49pm
I find the picture quite sad and also quite alarming. They look like Deer ticks which are the main vector for Lyme Disease as well as other tick born pathogens. I don't know if Sand Lizards 'get' Lyme Disease as such but I seem to recall some North American lizards being suspected of being hosts.

Be careful and check yourself for ticks after spending any time in likely tick areas, the ticks can be really hard and small, often smaller than the ones you often see on cats and dogs. Lyme Disease is widespread in the UK.

If you do get bitten by a tick then my advice is to get straight to the doctor and suggest/insist that you be treated for possible first stage, localised Lyme Disease. If you catch it very quickly then a relatively small dose of antibiotics should be enough to shift it. Some Doctors might try to get you to take a test for Lyme Disease before they offer any treatment but the test is not very acurate and you might have wasted valuable time waiting for the results (which might not even be acurate anyway) Not worth the risk IMO.

I was bitten by a Deer Tick and caught Lyme Disease at the beginning of 2009. I started treatment exactly 30 days after being bitten. I am now sympton free but it took two and a half years on doses of multiple antibiotics you would find hard to believe to get to this stage. Medical science does not yet have all the answers when it come to Lyme Disease. Don't take any chances.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:25pm
a well made point, for sure - thanks.  Most of the time I guess we tend to be well protected around the legs because of adders on heathland, but the little beggars can crawl up and find exposed flesh elsewhere.
Kraftykarl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraftykarl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

a well made point, for sure - thanks.  Most of the time I guess we tend to be well protected around the legs because of adders on heathland, but the little beggars can crawl up and find exposed flesh elsewhere.

Yes,  a large proportion of Tick bites aren't immediate, they can wait in your clothes or on your body for days or longer. The one that bit me I found imbedded in my groin area six days after I had left the site, I don't know if it had been there all that time but I think it's more likely that it just chose it's time before biting. I'm not squeemish about that kind of thing and actually thought it was quite funny at the time. I removed it by using some anti-insect cream which in hindsight was pretty stupid even if effective. Even then I waited until I had systematic symptoms before I took further action. I had a rash on the site of the bite but not the classic 'Bullseye' rash that is so often assocated with Lyme Disease.

I would have saved myself so much, time stress and money by being better educated to the risks and taking action as soon as I found the tick rather than waiting until I was ill. Actually I still consider myself one of the lucky ones.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:52pm
One of the sites local to me has a lot of ticks, what I tend to do is wear lighter coloured clothing(especially trousers), check frequently and brush any ticks visible off them.   As soon as I get home, every garment I wore, except the boots, goes in the wash and I have a bath or shower.    It maybe sounds a bit over the top I know, but if it helps in anyway, then so be it. 

Apart from the impatient little bugger who decided they wanted a quick meal on me a couple of days back(on the upper elbow of all places), I've only ever suffered tick bites before I implemented that regime when I wore the jeans the following day herping.  Perhaps the boots could've held on to the tick responsible for the bites, I don't know for sure. 

Luckily for me, I was with someone who posts on here occasionally (ophiucus) and he had a tick removal tool and being in an awkward place, it took a couple of goes, but it was removed, I've now ordered one myself, just in case...  

What you can do if once the tick has been removed is store it in a small container and keep it for analysis, should you develop Lyme's type symptoms.

Mark

Edited by arvensis - 28 May 2013 at 11:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic