the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thermal imaging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermal imaging
    Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:48pm
Hi All

You may remember a while ago I was speculating about whether TI cameras which use heat rather than light could be used to locate our cryptic reptiles in the field.  Although reptiles are not homeothermic (constantly 'warm-blooded') they can warm up to temperatures above the background temperature by using behavioural mechanisms such as basking or flattening their bodies, to absorb heat by radiation, conduction or both.

I managed to get my hands on a TI camera and took it into the field yesterday.  Sure enough, it picked out a common lizard on a branch, as well as an adder on some short turf next to a hedge.  However I doubt it will substitute for footslogging, fieldcraft and the human eye, for the following reasons: first, they can't see a reptile on an equally hot background - eg a warm tree stump (a lizard became invisible, for example, in spite of holding the camera within a few cm of it); also, although the heat signature of the animal was partly visible if it was hiding in dense vegetation, there was often too much 'noise' from hot twigs, leaves etc to allow the reptile's heat signature to be distinguished from the other hot items in the field of view.  Oh, and they cost a few grand, too..  Nevertheless, it was interesting to see how common lizards and adders were achieving a body temp at least 10 degrees above ambient, on a mainly cloudy day.  Thermograph of lizard plus equivalent photograph of same lizard below, along with an adder.

Cheers

Will

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:22pm

very interesting will, cheers.

tim

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:49pm
HI WILL HOW MUCH DO THESE DEVICES COST/ KEITH
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 3:36pm
Hi Keith

Apparently I borrowed a bottom of the range one, costing a mere 3 thousand quid...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 6:30am
Will if I order a couple is there a discount keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
crevalle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crevalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:50am
Wow I've never seen anything like that used for reptiles before--very cool!

Edited by crevalle - 19 Apr 2011 at 12:51am
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:56pm
unusual and rivetting post will!
thanks for sharing your thoughts, findings and pix

bit outa my price range!

ben

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:26pm
Thanks All; shame they're not available through Argos around 20 quid...  
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:32pm
Great idea to use it Will and interesting to see that you can get a (crude?) temperature reading also. Saves sticking a temperature probe up their arses.  I know some of the bat boys use TI to 'see' bats roosting hidden behind the roofing membrane in the tile/batten void.

Inspired work Watson! 

Edited by Scale - 21 Apr 2011 at 2:33pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:43pm
Thanks!  while I was out in the field it picked up a blackbird and a grey squirrel at the top of a tree, so I guess for the homeotherms it would be really useful (bats included, as you say) - but those pesky reptiles continue to be as hard to detect as ever...  it was interesting to confirm that the reptiles' body temps were indeed well above ambient even on a typical autumn day - lizard at 34 deg C compared with 16 deg C ambient, for example.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic