the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spawn 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spawn 2013
    Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:43am
After much splashing around on a largely flooded nature reserve, our first couple of clumps of spawn were discovered.

I guess only laid night before as hadnt floated to surface yet.

What was more interesting was choice of spawning site, right in the middle of a flooded meadow i about 6 inch of water with no obvious "features" (rushes, grass tussucks etc) closer than 4ft. Which set me pondering, given the huge number of shallow temporary pools around the country at the moment are we going to see a very dispersed breeding effort with fewer congregations at traditional ponds??

Steve
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:55pm
A lot of which will be doomed surely when (if!) things start to dry out.
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 6:32am
Agree with Suzy - quite right!  Steve, out of interest, which part of the country are you in?
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 11:49am
On the flipside, for many other amphibians species, the persistent presence of water in the more permanent of the ephemeral pools will surely result in a good recruitment year.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 4:13pm
for sure; at the castle moat which I monitor for GCN there is water for the first time in 3 years and so it could be a good breeding year; a population of 2-3 thousand GCN dependent on a very erratic supply of water.  Also good for natterjacks, I guess.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:22am
The dew pond behind our house had not held water in 10 years. 

It is currently like a small lake. 

I'm sure some tadpoles will be lost to temporary pools which dry up, on the other hand it would seem some long dead water bodies locally now offer hope again. (Well at least until the farmer gets his chemicals out and kills all the animals).

I would think any impact would be seen over the long term, if on the whole it gets wetter over several years, many old water bodies could be of use again, so a good thing. If it is temporary I guess it just increases the risk of frogs in particular dropping spawn in hopeless puddles doomed to dry up later in the year. 
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 1:16pm
Hello Will,

I'm in South devon.
We're up to 25+ clumps now, huzzah. So far all in temp pools, but then again I can't get close enough to actual ponds to check them! 

I agree Gemma, wet at the right time will be key. Of course these seasonal pools are really what these frogs are made for Rana temporaria.....
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:15pm
Thanks Steve - thought you might be somewhere in the balmy south-west!
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 6:17pm
I saw approximately 10 clumps of spawn today in 2 small ponds high on a hillside above Llanelli.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Thanks Steve - thought you might be somewhere in the balmy south-west!

Ah but the price we pay for balmy is WET - but perhaps we're not alone!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic