the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > ARG UK - Amphibian & Reptile Groups of the UK > ARG UK Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - South West Region ARG Conference 14th Nov. 2015
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South West Region ARG Conference 14th Nov. 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South West Region ARG Conference 14th Nov. 2015
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:32pm
An interesting and informative day at Draycott in Somerset yesterday. This is the first event of this type that I've attended, several of the subjects had caught my eye in the advertising email.
Did anyone else off the forum attend?
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:22pm
what a shame Suzi - i was there and would have loved to have had a chat with you!

I really enjoyed the day too and thought that the presentations were very interesting, informative and diverse. Despite all the ongoing UK herp woes, some were even upbeat in tone - particularly Chris Gleed-Owen's heart-warming 'Sand Lizards in Atypical Habitats'
Although, the findings suggested by the 'Reptile Translocations - Do They Work?' one came as no surprise of course.

Loved the riveting 'Marine Turtles In The UK' finale as well. Great advice in the - admittedly unlikely - event of spotting or encountering any of the 5 species and i enthusiastically lapped up the freebie handouts too.

Well done Somerset ARG, all the speakers and everyone there for a thoroughly enjoyable day say i!

Which talks did you enjoy most?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:32am
I did wonder if you'd be there, but how would I recognise you?!
Although I went mainly to hear about the smooth snake reintroduction in Devon I found all of the talks interesting.
Some of the talks were quite scientific/technical, but even those I found fascinating.
Having heard the loud effect of calling frogs in the Somerset Levels I was keen to find out what they were. I got a bit lost in the explanation, but I think it was almost 100% edible frogs and a few marsh frogs. I didn't quite understand all the breeding outcomes, but that is just me.
The atypical habitats talk was brilliant, and there will be more places like that -but who is looking?
It was good to see Trevor Beebee after referring to his books for years! The Mendips Pond project with those strange cart ponds etc. ...good luck to them with it.
I had thought before I left home that I might sneak away before the marine turtle talk, but I'm glad I didn't. I would love to see any of them off our coast.
Yes a good day out.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:46am

Well, like everyone else, i was labelled with a sticker bearing my name and postcode, but maybe like me, you didn't like to stare at people's chests!

I'm pretty sure the speaker said her investigations showed the Somerset frogs to be Iberian Water Frogs and Edible Frogs.
Re CGO's talk, yes, you're probably right, there's a fair chance that there are other small and hitherto undiscovered sites - especially in places where access is denied or difficult get to such as private land/live railway lines/brambles/scrub etc. Especially when you consider how often you go to a site where you KNOW herps are, yet don't see them.

Without wishing to sound rude to him, TBB reminded me of another famous naturalist - Terry Nutkins (RIP)!!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:22pm
Yes staring a people's chests (especially men at women's) is a bit strange. Plus the pen I wrote with was a bit worn so all the writing was thick and smudgy.
Yes I heard the bit about Iberian Water Frogs and then I seemed to get muddled. I didn't want to be forever taking notes, although maybe I should have!
Suz
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:53am
I was booked in for this but was struck down with terrible man-flu so couldn't attend

Sounds as good as I though it would be!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic