the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some toads from today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some toads from today
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:29pm
Hi all,

here is a selection of toads from today, some interesting variations I think...

undefined

undefined

undefined

RobV
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:12pm
This one was under a cover in the garden today.

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 11:49am
I see my last entry here is the same as the one I now post! Toad under a cover in the very long grass down my garden. I think this is my first of the year. It is a mid-sized specimen. When I first saw it, it was sat in a depression, so I went for the camera and it had emerged from the hole. However it soon scuttled off into the depression, which proved to be a vole or mouse hole.
A few weeks ago I moved a cover to a new position and the grass underneath is now flattened but still alive. This is now the preferred haunt of the slow worms (dozens) and the bare grounded covers are usually deserted, or occasionally one slow worm. 

Edited by Suzy - 09 Jun 2020 at 8:48pm
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
Lovely to see, we very rarely see toads here so would love to get a population going.

Interesting that your slow worms have moved home, I am getting concerned because it is a few weeks since I have seen a slow worm in my garden whereas at this time last year there were loads under the covers, hopefully this is all has happened here.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:28pm
Funny thing is they just turn up. I don't have any breed here, nor do they breed in the area round me. I have them all sizes from 50p piece to adult. Some years I see more than others. Once I had a plastic compost empty bag weighted down on the garden and three 50p ones lived under it for over a month. 
I've said before on here that I don't know where they breed, maybe in the flooded old brickworks a third to half a mile away. We do have a sunken stream at the bottom of the garden and maybe they come along that from the brickworks. I suspect the great crested newts that I had came that way. I think the grass snakes use it as a corridor as well.
I've only once seen one in a pond. I got up just before dawn in summer and a large toad was hauling itself out of a pond in the garden and ambling off under some vegetation. 
With regards the slow worms, they do literally go to ground in very extreme hot/dry weather. Mine are no longer under my other three covers without vegetation, but seem to love this lush humid atmosphere under the newly placed cover. There are still plenty in the compost bins, but they are full of decaying vegetable matter and I water them occasionally. 
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 1:15pm
Another toad, looks like the first one's twin appeared under an adjacent cover to the first one this morning. I feel these toads have moved in since we had some rain.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic