the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So much for my day off!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So much for my day off!
    Posted: 16 May 2004 at 7:33pm

Well, I decided to have a day off today from herps, well sort of, I took the hot weather as a good excuse to build a new incubator for snake eggs in the garden (compost heap).

We've recently been turning the garden into a reptile and amphibian haven, with a pond compost heap and rockery complete with internal hibernacula.

Half way through constructing the new compost heap, my eye was drawn to something dark moving in the undergrowth, and low and behold out popped a viviparous lizard. This was in the midday sun.

Later Mervyn swore he saw a 'fish' in the new pond, this led to much watching and low and behold we have a female small newt species. (Torch out at sunset to determine species). This is in a pond we made exactly one month ago today.

It might not sound much, and I do see dozens of lizards and newts most weeks at this time of year, but the charm of seeing them in the garden for the first time brings back all the excitement of childhood. :0) It also goes to show that herp friendly gardens are very very easy to create!

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic