the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:50pm
Hey Ben, your posting on this thread is very timely!

Where in the country are you? Only I'm putting on a fundraiser gig for Gloucestershire Amphibian and Reptile Group (GlosARG) on Sat 16th May at a small but regular - and bustling -live music venue: The Prince Albert, Stroud (http://www.theprincealbertstroud.co.uk/)

I'm aiming for a range of musical styles and have 3 bands (inc own) lined up to perform and seeking a fourth.
Would Suffering Fools be interested in joining Gav and Nat (acoustic), Swindon's wonderful 2 Sick Monkeys and Chinese Burn?

Since this is a benefit, the bands won't be paid; although if we do well we might be able to give you some expenses and of course you can always sell any merch you have.
If you don't mind roughing it on the sofa bed/floor, i could probably put you up for the night as well if desired.

Or perhaps Gemma would like to do a solo spot debut?

This is the second such event i've put on at this pub and the last one was packed so this should be a good opportunity to present your sounds to plenty of virgin ears.
We raised a couple of hundred quid by shaking a bucket last time.

Please pm me for more details if interested.

Cheers
Ben
Ben W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 10:26am
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the invite, we are Derby based, it might be a bit far/time consuming for some but I will ask on Tuesday when we reherse and get back to you. What are you looking at a 30/40 min set?

Ben
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 2:07pm
Yes, it would have to be 40 mins per band at very most. The pub is in a residential area so there's no late license and we have to allow for 4 performances plus changeovers in between.
Please let me know when you do.

Thanks
Ben
Ben W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 7:14pm
Hi Ben,

Discussed the Gig last night but I'm afraid both the guitarist and bass player are N/A on that date. I think even if they were it would have been a no due to distance but it was good of you to ask and I hope the event raises lots of money for your group.

Ben
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:38pm
Ok, thanks Ben. And good luck with the band!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm
I went to a fancy dress party recently and the theme was "Rock Stars". Friends suggested i could just go as myself, but i hardly think i qualify!

So instead, i thought mmm...in for a penny, in for a pound and dressed up in full drag (short peroxide wig, make up, bra, mini dress, fishnets and high heels) and went as Debbie Harry from Blondie. If you're ever in need of something to subdue misbehaving kids, you could threaten them with one of the horrific pics of me that have no doubt surfaced on Facebook!

Here's a poster for the upcoming benefit gig if anyone fancies a night out:

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 11:41am
The above event went well, with Swindon's excellent 2 Sick Monkeys (1 guy singing/playing bass and the other on drums), the best band on the night. They don't have a guitarist - Pete is so good on bass they don't need one!

Glos ARG were able to buy some decent equipment such as professional nets with the money raised.

I had a great night supporting The Dickies in Cardiff last week. For the uninitiated, this Californian band play a mix of cover versions in their own inimitable style such as Paranoid by Black Sabbath and their unique take on the Moody Blues' Nights In White Satin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLpwtaLDw8

Their own songs have brilliantly crafted pop melodies, such as this look at the rock star/fan relationship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy4cjUFa6-8

The Dickies had several UK hit singles including a top ten in the late 70's and remain a legendary cult act with a very entertaining live show and a hardcore global fan base.

The band were over for a full UK tour but no sooner had they set foot on Brit soil when singer Leonard Graves-Phillips was rushed to hospital will gall stone problems, leaving the rest of the band in a bit of a spot. Their solution was to play the shows with fans taking turns to front the band and sing their favourite tune. A dream come true for them and what a night that made for! Of course some were hilariously abysmal but others were nearly as good as the real thing. All were encouraged and supported equally though and there was a really special atmosphere to the night. Without doubt, one of the best gigs i've ever been to.

Supporting:

and me singing 'The Banana Splits Theme' with The Dickies:

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:39pm
i had a yellow vinyl single of the dickies banana splits theme. what a great idea. glad it went well ben.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:13am

Hi Tim. I bought it too and remember wondering if i was playing the record at the wrong speed; it seemed so impossibly 'chipmonk' fast. How could anyone do that yet stay in time/key?
How times change. Compared to all the thrashy bands since, it now sounds almost sluggish!

I bought my first Elvis (Costello - the best one) singles around then too. Still got Oliver's Army!

Cheers

Edited by Liz Heard - 21 Aug 2016 at 9:19am
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 12:43pm
I think pretty much everyone 'of a certain age' must have got the Banana Splits theme single, even though we were just kids the tv show was such a hit that you really had no choice.

Its funny how things stick with you, even now the phrase 'size of an elephant' pops into my head when i need to do some heavy lifting...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
  Share Topic