the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smooth newt seizing ladybird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smooth newt seizing ladybird
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:18am
Hi folks,

Not sure if i've previously posted this observation (with pics) on the forum and if not, thought it might be of interest...

http://www.ispotnature.org/node/868315

all the best
Ben
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
Nice photo and nteresting stuff, but i wouldn't have been able to sit there and watch the poor ladybird struggle myself, when i see anything fall into the pond, whether its an ant or anything 'trivial' i have to get a blade of grass and help it out - i know you should anthropomorphise animals and their feelings but i work on the principle that if i was the creature i would want to be helped...
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
Fair enough Chubsta. I guess with wildlife, i usually let nature take it's course, but in this instance you'll be happy to hear that the ladybird eventually flew away.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
Ill sleep better tonight knowing that! Wink

I get a fair bit of stick from my other half for picking worms and snails up off the pavement etc and putting them in the grass verges, it seems odd to her, and i guess it does to others too, but i hate the idea of something dieing just because i couldn't be bothered to do anything. I'm pretty ambivalent to human issues but cant stand things happening to animals (except earwigs - you can do what you like to them!)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic