the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow-worm site loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow-worm site loss
    Posted: 07 Oct 2004 at 12:45pm
A case has cropped up at work wherein an isolated population of slow-worms in a city centre is to be partially lost to housing.

Developers are proposing to move all of the slow-worms into the 40% of the site that is to be retained. They argue that with 'habitat enhancement measures', this remaining area can support the translocated population. An option that we prefer is to translocate to a big site across the road. This is a former landfill site which has been landscaped. It consists mostly of rough grassland with some scrub, scree, boulders and a pond. There are no slow-worms at the moment but on the opposite site it connects to a disused railway line which has slow-worms.

With this limited information, which do people think is the best option - squeezing the animals into 40% of their site, or translocating to a site which has no history of slow-worms?

Local Authority Ecologist
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2004 at 2:02pm

I would be very concerned for their future in the 40% of the site that is left, i.e. how long before it is also developed.

I'm not keen on translocation as there is so little evidence to support that it actually works but my gut feeling would be they stand a better chance across the road. I would regard the likely connectivity with an established population as another factor that would favour translocation. Any decision though should be based on securing the future and sensitive long-term management of the receptor site.

What are the habitat enhancements they have suggested? From my experience of slow-worm sites the best are those left completely alone.

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2004 at 2:29pm
The exact nature of the enhancements has not yet been specified, and these might be part of the planning conditions. But at the moment the site is a mixture of woodland and scrub with some clearings and lots of rubbish - ideal for slow-worms, so it's difficult to see how it can be enhanced in order to cram more animals in. The remainder will be relatively safe under a 106 agreement, and will probably come under the ownership of the LA.

We recognise the problems of translocation, but here it's a case of which is the lesser of two evils.
Local Authority Ecologist
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2004 at 4:42pm

Matt, I don't know if your familiar with the workings of Local Authories and planning departments, but in my experience section 106 agreements are more or less bought and sold by the highest bidders. An article 4 or an SSSI are probably the only protective instruments available to protect that site and it probably won't be granted from the details you have given. My advice (for what its worth) is grab as many of the population as you can and move them as far away from the development as poss, bearing in mind the need for a suitable alternative. I wouldn't go for the reformed landfill option. Current stats suggest something like 60,000 tonnes of illegal toxic waste goes missing from industry each year, whereabouts unknown, but you can bet a fair bit of it ends up as slurry in those pits. It will be a few years before we start seeing the results of that and the amphibians/slow worms will be the first to get hit.

I had a similar quandry about five years ago and its a shame I didn't know of this site then (if it existed). Builders started buldozing the top soil from a huge site in Waltham abbey, Essex. Despite me notifying BHS and English Nature, no one responded in time to save the hundreds of herptiles there including Adders, Grass Snakes, Slow worms, Common lizards and all the amphibians. Not good. Be proactive. Dont wait for reassurance, just get them out of there as quickly as you can. If you need help, I'm sure they'd be plenty of volunteers here to help. Cheers Robert V. 

RobV
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2004 at 5:43pm
Robert,

I really have to disagree with you on this one. If I understand your comments correctly, you are suggesting that volunteers within ARGs should respond to planning threats by voluntarily catching and translocating reptiles. No assessment of impacts, no survey of potential receptor sites, no cost to developer. This takes us back to the bad old days of 'rescues', where animals were removed from sites at the last minute and basically dumped onto receptor areas where the basic requirements of the species were poorly understood.

Disclaimer - The worst of the so called 'ecological consultants' still do this.

In my opinion both BHS and English Nature have a *very* poor track record of delivering protection for widespread reptile species at the organisational level. Note that individuals within both organisations are often very active in their local areas, but usually through their associations with other local groups.

What needs to happen is for protected species issues to be properly dealt with in the planning system. Developers need to pay for *high quality* surveys and be prepared to implement best practice as far as mitigation is concerned. We have moved a long way in this regard in recent years, although there is still a very long way to go. Guidelines coming soon from EN should hopefully set a new baseline with regard to reptile mitigation work.

Matt, since I work as a consultant professionally I usually prefer not to offer mitigation advice wearing my voluntary/recording hat. However, in this case I think a reasonable (but not necessarily the best) strategy would be to maintain some of the population within the area that will not be disturbed. Encourage positive management of this area and seek long term site safeguards. If 40% of the site is being offered, take it! Don't loose the whole area!

At the same time, if the population is very large, dumping all animals into 40% of the site is not an acceptable strategy. Therefore, some animals - founder stock if you like - could be translocated elsewhere. The receptor site should be properly surveyed and habitat/landscaping works designed and implemented to ensure that translocated individuals have the best chance for future population sustainability. Ideally targets for 'success' should be defined and the site monitored. Try to work with the consultants and help them to develop a strategy that is acceptable to their client (cost-wise), while at the same time ensuring that any mitigation work has a meaningful conservation outcome.

This strategy will enable the original population to survive, whilst at the same time facilitating establishment of a new population.   
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 10:44am
Dave,

I think that you need to turn the question around. What should the BHS promote itself as capable of doing? As a long-time member of the BHS, I value the society for its high quality publications and excellent scientific meetings. I know that you personally organise tasks, but BHS events are fairly limited elsewhere and certainly do not cover the whole country. As you say, a voluntary membership organisation cannot be expected to cover the whole works. I think that the problem is that folk perceive the BHS as offering more than it is able and that leads to disappointment. I know of several historical instances where the BHS has been invited into Kent to provide advice. Unfortunately the advice provided was poor, sites were lost and people felt let-down.

As a (very) active herp recorder I find it a struggle to juggle all of the different organisations that are out there. Folk are only able to give so much of their time and as you say volunteer groups cannot be expected to take on the role of paid government organisations. However, there needs to be better communication of the Society's policies regarding various conservation issues. There are many committees within the BHS and (despite the Natterjack) they do not necessarily communicate what they do very effectively.

If somebody like Robert contacts the BHS for advice on an important site, there should be a mechanism in place for providing an appropriate response. Even if that is simply providing Robert with standard BHS policy on the situation and putting him in touch with a representative from a local ARG, Wildlife Trust etc.

Lee

ps. I was a member of the BHS Yahoo group but stopped receiving emails, probably due to a defunct email address. I have rejoined now and will probably find that all these concerns have been addressed!

Lee Brady

Email
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 6:40pm

Lee, thanks for the very useful comments on the subject. I think it is sometimes the feeling of helplessness at seeing vast tracts of land torn up and knowing the extent of the damage being done to herptile populations that leads to the desire to protect first - assess later type of thinking. I take on board what you say, that removal without consideration is not the best way to work and I agree 'dumping them anywhere' is best avoided.

You made the point perfectly to David, in that interested parties DO look to the BHS as a sort "guardian" of all things herptile (rightly or wrongly). Maybe it's because they are theoretically based at Regents Park zoo or even that the organisation boasts some of the most knowledgable people in this field, but, as a member in the past I certainly assumed that the first port of call when considering 'a major impact' situation should be to the BHS. Surely, the very fact that they are volunteers and not doing it for the money would tend to reinforce that viewpoint. Like I said in my earlier posting, I wished I had known about a site like this, then. Communication being the key. But I wonder, does this site ever get a mention in the natterjack or the Bulletin? 

As for English Nature; for whatever reason, its powers, contact points, aims and purposes, its finance/backing, or its heirarchy,I would wager, are all a mystery to a majority of the general public (myself included). I thought that when planning consent for sites is sought or examined, it was the local authority's so-called 'conservation officer' that advises on these type of issues. Ideally, it should be possible for conscientious people like Matt to be able to turn to the BHS / English Nature and for the site to be recorded and prioritised for action. If the need is urgent an interested party cannot be expected to trawl around various different departments or groups before he/she finds someone to listen/act. But still, the very fact we're talking about the subject on here is sort of progress anyway and thats a start eh? R     

RobV
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2004 at 6:50pm
I can assure you Rob as a BHS member I did ask for RAUK to be mentioned in the Natterjack. To date it hasn't been, though I know Dave was the first to promote it on the BHS members site.
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2004 at 8:07am
Gemma,

The new BHS web site is coming together nicely and RAUK is certainly listed there.

Lee
Lee Brady

Email
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2004 at 8:19am
Robert,

Communication is vital in conservation. The internet is a relatively recent medium and empowers people to find information in a way that would not have been possible just a few years ago. I believe that forums such as RAUK are an extremely important resource and Gemma deserves significant kudos for building the forum and making it work.

Unfortunately the thing that really constrains effective communication is time (or lack of)! Most folk lead very busy lives and it can be a real struggle to keep people informed of what is happening. This forum should help to dissipate information quickly.

Matt, it would be helpful if you could let the forum know the outcome of the development that started this thread. Any lessons that were learnt from the project and whether the final mitigation is perceived as 'successful' (as far as these things go).

Lee
Lee Brady

Email
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic