the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Worms in Bedroom - Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becenora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Worms in Bedroom - Help
    Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:29pm
Can anyone help us explain a really curious situation? Perhaps you have come across something like this before or can put me in touch with someone who can help. Basically, we keep finding slow worms upstairs in our house (first floor). They have either been on the carpet in the bedroom, or on the landing. This has happened 5 times over the last 3 years ( 3 in the last 2 months). The one found yesterday was quite large. Is it possible that there is a nest in the attic and they are dropping down when we go in and out of the attic. We don't have a cat and can't think of any reasonable explanation as to why this should keep happening. We live in mid terrace in a town with  a small garden. I believe slow worms are prevalent in the area. I do like them but would rather not keep finding them in the house! Any advice or suggestions welcome. Thank you. 
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:06pm
Hi there
Thank you for this fascinating question which you describe totally accurately as a "really curious situation". Certainly slowworms are one of the least likely of our amphibians and reptiles one would expect to find in a house at all - let alone on the first floor!!

The questions that initially come to my mind are two. The least probable is that if you have a densely growing tree or shrub up against the wall which reaches the window, and which is open, they may use this. They certainly will climb that high in sufficiently dense vegetation.

The most likely, however, is if you have a cat (or a neighbour has a cat that comes into your house!) that the cat is catching them and bringing them in. They do tend to have a favourite place to deposit their catches (mine left things - generally live mice - in my right carpet slipper - always the right one, never the left!). It may be that some dos would do the same.

Apart from that I am at a bit of a loss - we can certainly say that their presence in a loft would be as improbable as on your first floor! perhaps wiser minds than mine amongst our members will come up with a better explanation!

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:54pm
Another thought, although unlikely, have they got into a cavity wall from a higher bit of land - garden raised up near a wall. My friend has slow worms in her garden and one place they live is in a stone wall. They can emerge up to a metre from the ground via little gaps. If the house is brick and well pointed this would be less likely.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic