the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Worm :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm
Slightly warmer here today in East Devon (up to 15C). I had a look under the Coroline near the compost heaps at 3pm and found two adult and 6 young (copper coloured but small) slow worms. There had been some sun but it doesn't fall so directly onto the cover now, but I put my hand on the Coroline and it felt warm to the touch - which was not the result of sun on it - and I thought how if it had been corrugated tin it would have felt cold in the same conditions.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 11:45pm
It never ceases to amaze me how reptiles can find the 'warm' bits. There have been plenty of times I've lifted felts which were catching a tiny patch of sun on one corner and an animal was right where the patch of warmth was. Very true too that in those sorts of conditions it would be very unlikely tin would have produced a result.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 10:19pm
Two adults and four young today and the adults were different ones to those on the 8th Nov. It was sunny when I saw them in the morning and, yes Gemma, they were under the areas were the sun struck the Coroline.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:45pm
Late afternoon there were four small slowies under the Coroline. It had been a sunny mild day.
Suz
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:03am
It would be interesting to see if these continue into December! Keep it up
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:41pm
One adult under the Coroline at 3pm. A very dim day but mild with a temp of 11/12C. I didn't look earlier in the day so there might have been more slow worms then.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:07pm
thanks for the updates from your E Devon Slow Worm farm Suz!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:32pm
LOL Ben
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 9:25pm
Adult and young under the coroline on Sunday 18th Nov and one teeny newbie under on Tuesday 20th. We've had a lot of rain since and on the odd occasion I've looked there's been no slowies, but I will keep looking.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic