the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Worm colour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Worm colour
    Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 4:22pm
I recall speaking to someone a few years back who told me that large numbers of Slow Worms in his New Forest garden had blue markings.

Can anyone tell me if Slow Worm populations in some areas are prone to showing certain colours. I'm guessing that markings are passed on through the genes so it is possible that a particularly well marked male may produce well marked offspring in someones garden or on a local nature reserve. However is there any evidence that maybe Slow Worms in the south are more likely to have brighter blue markings than perhaps those from elsewhere in the UK (or visa versa)?

Would love to see any photos of unusually marked Slow Worms posted if anyone has them.

(Apologies if going over old ground here.)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:43pm
Well I'm in the south Rags and I don't get many blue ones. 
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm
I'm sure there's an element of founder effects - island populations like those on Flat Holm and Steep Holm are supposed to have both a high frequency of blue spot males and males with a high number of blue spots on them, but equally they can be found on the mainland, of course.  I remember reading that they are supposed to be commoner in the south and west of England but I've seen blue spotted ones from Yorkshire, for example.  David Bird has posted a photo of an amazing nearly all blue male from a back garden somewhere in Dorset on the forum in the past I think.  At first sight it looked like someone's April Fool, almost like it had been dipped in paint!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 7:14pm
Damn, wish I had thought of that for yesterday Will. LOL

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:05pm
looks genuine enough to me, but then I was fooled by the four tailed viv!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:39pm

Where the hell did you find that one?

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 11:25pm
same place Gemma found the four-tailed viv last April 1st - in her magic gardenWink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 1:10pm
Yep Will's right Rags, my garden is line of sight with Bradwell Power Station, I find all sorts of strange looking herps in there:

Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:03pm
Oh my, that's terrible.

If you don't mind me saying, but if your avatar photo is a selfie, I don't think it's doing you much good living there either.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:53am
I know and I use to be normal.....    ......well probably not really.Wink

The Lizard from last year:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic