the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SEPTEMBER SAFARI PURBECK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEPTEMBER SAFARI PURBECK
    Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 9:39pm
Well I must say I am a bit late in the year as have had a few trips under the belt by now but due to such bad weather during the spring and the price of diesel well the rest you know.So I set out this week with the well seasoned retro caravan down the M25 gritting my teeth praying that the jeep did not blow up as it was my first tow with it.I arrived unnanounced to a the caravan clubs site at Coldharbour in Wareham forest to be informed that I could only stay the one night because every thing was booked out , but lucky I found another very inexpensive one in the most glorious scenic area of Purbeck near Corfe castle.I was out at the first sign of daylight that became to hot by 10 am so I restricted my searches to up to that time and later after 5pm. The first morning I copped a couple of smoothies at Wogret one being a juvenile that hopped it and the second is in the pics spotted a couple of LVs and fleeting la only got one pic also see a juvenile sloworm on the fabled smoothie site dont reckon its chances of surviving?.next day visited Boscombe wall and greenies areas see a few walls but no greens but did see lots of very new juvenile pocardis,that were scampering around like water skater spiders on the zigzag wall. Summing it up the fabled smooth snake bank was disapointing none to be seen except a juvenile sloworm dont fancy its chance if the CA are still there?,and sand lizards were thin on the ground even at Wills sites also see no adders even in the later part of the day, but it has been pretty hot.But I did see some red deer and some Dartford warblers + a wasp spider and got some great steam train spotting in on the side lol and met a ancient old man in his nieties tramping the heath and he also moaned about the heavy handed management by the rspb so I am not alone will put a pictur of him up Keith
one of the many new wall lizard juveniles all between about 1" to 1" half inches long
IMG]uploads/1143/011.JPG[/IMG]
Is this a mirror image of my self this local old gentleman was well into his nineties and enjoying the natural heaths beauty

Edited by AGILIS - 10 Sep 2012 at 7:52am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 10:41pm
great stuff keith ClapThumbs Up

tim
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:22pm
Lovely report Keith. sounds like you had a grand time. Hope I'm still able to wander the heaths in my nineties!
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:13pm
that was fab Keith.

i loved the range of pix - cheers for posting!

all the best, Ben
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:54am
Cheers Suzy and Ben havent heard much fom you of late Ben ... keith
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 11:46am
This a dreadful year for me I still have not been out on the La & Ca spots in the south ,and I am getting a bit twitchy as the year pulls in keith

Edited by AGILIS - 15 Aug 2013 at 11:47am
gingerdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 2:06pm
Blimey Keith is that what you look like after all these years!hardly recognise you!.Serious now, nice little report.Did you visit Studland? always use to be plenty of Smooth snakes and Sand lizard there.Remember the last time i visited there[about 1970!!] watched a smooth snake eating a Sand lizard.
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 7:54am
What's been stopping you Keith?

Too Hot?
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 6:23pm
Hi Paul spent to much money getti g me jeep sorted and fuel cost have got to effing pricey, " Dave " did you check your mail box ? ps Think you would be horrified with Frensham and how it has lost loads of heath and Tilford common went under the pine tree plantations do you remember where the road them days a track had a heather embankment with loads of sandies all dissapeared and all the feral pine trees have blanked out all life I believe they are now culling a lot but alas all to late ,Keith
gingerdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 8:51pm
Like so many places Keith even in a big country like France .Remember in the S of France near Toulon there use to be villages with old wells dotted around.You could climb down one in the dry season and count 50 treefrogs keeping cool and damp in the decaying walls.Now you cant even find the wells never mind the frogs.Yes saw your PM will contact you soonWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic