the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Lizards 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Lizards 2013
    Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:43pm
Well good and bad news here in (briefly) sunny devon.

Had our first Sandie out yesterday, though sadly he looked very moribund, obviously very chilled and seemed to have eye problems. His plumage/pelage/scalage (what is the term??) was quite advanced though which was interesting. Maybe he'd been out couple of days??

Better news today, with another adult out in bright afternoon sun, air temp probably only in 5 degreees though. (sorry its a bit spot the dorso-laterals..!)

He was quite active, wouldnt let me get close and disapeared down this hole...much smaller than I would have guessed for a lizard retreat.

i could just see his tail in hole, sadly hasnt come out on snap.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 10:41am
I find it hard to believe sand lizards out in this weather..keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:22pm
He's either gone to that great heath in the sky or hes a plastic impersonator...

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:46pm
Perhaps these are some of the new released prototypes Chris has been developing by feeding glycol in their diet.keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Dammit - you guessed Keith!! LOL
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 2:57pm
Ha Ha.

Sadly chap in first picture didnt make it (despite some warmth and TLC) and given he was blind not sure what i would have done with him even if he had.

It looked like his eyes had simply rotted away whilst in hibernation (I've seen similar on captive animals and assumed it was too dry in hibernation media, but that seems unlikly given this winter!)
You may also notice blackening around nose, I wondered if this might have been frost damage? He's been dead for 4-5 days when this was taken so some of blue tone is post mortem.
SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:58pm
Nobody any opinions? Ah well, never mind.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 1:16pm
Hi Steve

The problem is that the eye problem seems to have too many causes. Yes, I have known it as a side effect of excess dryness - but also of excess dampness. Similarly the eyes tend to be the first part to suffer from frost damage and on occasion, they are simply stuck closed and infection sets in (unlikely in this case as they don't appear to be swollen). This, incidentally, sometimes seems to be caused by failure to slough properly - particularly the sub-ocular, post and supranasals, supraciliaries and even the eyelids themselves. I suspect this may be the case simply because, in the very first picture he seems to be gasping and in the last the nostrils appear blocked.
Chris

SteveA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 1:32pm
Thank you Chris, very interesting.
Does that suggest one could "cure" the problem by rubbing/ clearing the skin away from eyes/ head?? Not something one would chance to do very often in wild I grant you but who knows!

apologies for tardy thanks I havent been on forum for ages.
Steve
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 2:59pm
Hi Steve
It does indeed. And a ploy I have used successfully on occasion with lacertids of various sorts. A trifle tricky in the wild though!
Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic