the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Lizard Reintroduced into Kent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Lizard Reintroduced into Kent
    Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 10:38pm
HCT and Kent Wildlife Trust have teamed up to organise a reintroduction of sand lizard in Kent. The site selected is Sandwich and Pegwell Bay and 50 juveniles were released today.

Read about it here.
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:16am

Sweet !

Out of interest....why was this time of year chosen ?...won't they be looking to hibernate soon(ish) ?

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:29am
I suspect that the animals were released now for simple logistical reasons. Juvenile reptiles represent the dispersal stage for many species and relocation/translocation/reintroduction work that involves juveniles is usually considered more likely to result in a successful project.

If you think about it, juvenile sand lizards are hatching right now. There is significant mortality of first year individuals under natural conditions. The animals released at Sandwich have probably been kept in captivity for a little while in order to ensure that they are well fed and healthy. The question now is can the site support them? Has enough work been done to identify why sand lizards went extinct on the site? What management decisions will be made for the site?

I actually have no inside knowledge of this project since it is being organised by HCT and KWT. However, I do hope to learn more about the project in due course.

Edited by calumma
Lee Brady

Email
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 12:58pm
I was there this summer and was thinking it looked like a good place! Had a look aroundjust in case (not for very long mind) as there seemed to be historical records from Pegwell Bay and couldn't see any obvious reasons why they might have dissappeared (There is that bloody big powerstation mind, I guess the building of that was destructive). Didn't see anything but might do in a few years from now! Great stuff.

Lee.
Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 1:01pm
Out of interest, has Pegwell bay been 'tinned' or survey in otherways to confirm the dissappearance there?

On a different note, there are Egrets resident there and it's a great place to see them.

Lee.
Lee Fairclough
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 1:09pm
As far as I am aware no detailed survey work has been undertaken at the release site in Sandwich...

I am actually quite interested in following up some of the historical sand lizard records for Kent. One of my target sites is Folkestone Warren. I receive the odd interesting observation from people who should know what they are talking about. In fact I'm out there again tomorrow. Check my blog for updates on this type of survey.
Lee Brady

Email
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:50pm
If you follow the BBC link you will say that it states:

"Fifty rare reptiles have been released back into their native habitat in Kent after an absence of over a century."

The last 'official' record for sand lizard in Kent is from 1969, and Keith C reckons they were present in Sandgate in the mid-1970's.

Don't you just love journalists...
Lee Brady

Email
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic