the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand lizard markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand lizard markings
    Posted: 12 Sep 2004 at 12:45am

Do the different Sand lizard colonies have slightly different markings ?

I only have a small sample set at the moment, but I can see similarities between the Hankley 'Sandies' markings and a different trend with the Frensham ones.

Or am I being hoplessley subjective ?

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:08pm

Right, now have a pretty decent selection of pics of Surrey Heath Sandies, and have even knocked up a format for recording the markings to distinguish individuals.

What I now need is a system for characterising the markings, which saves me from checking each old photo against a new pic. Obviously location can be a fliter, but I need something which represents the markings, maybe numerically.

This MUST have been done with such things as fingerprints before pattern-matching on modern PCs. Before I re-invent the wheel and create my own system, does anybody know of an extant system in use ? would make far more sense for me to adopt a system than create a new one !

Any help out there ??

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 2:48pm

Thanks for that David,

What I am thinking of is developing a system which cues on characteristics of the marking pattern, not exact representation. (Or adopting one if one exists).

One example may be; on the back patternation, where there are elements of black banding which connect unbroken between both dorsal stripes, this could be represented as a boolean 1 or 0.

There MAY be a way of codifying some aspects of patternation. I shall rely heavily on the expertise of this forum to suggest possible characteristics.

Once we have a set of ideas, I can then just apply to the pictures I have to determine feasibility. If it looks hopeful, I'll liaise with Alan here in Surrey, and then maybe expand to see if such a system works with Dorset specimens.

Very interested to hear how the Newt characterisation worked out.

Thanks for the interest !

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 2:57am

Cheers David,

My German is passable, or failing that I'm still in contact with my Austrian Ex. who happens to be a technical translator :P either way I'm sure it would be useful. The email link on my signature should work.

I'll keep this thread updated on any progress.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 5:26pm

Got a half-decent pic of what I would consider a typical Surrey male sandy, how do the markings compare with Dorset specimens ?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 4:17am
Very Nice pics Steve and David
Chris G-O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris G-O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 1:28pm
Hi Vicar (Steve),
I doubt you'll find any differences in patterns between Surrey & Dorset without a massively intensive study with complicated analysis. The only regional differences i'm aware of are the Merseyside race which have very broad dorsolateral silvery grey bands between the lateral and the dorsal markings. However, in ALL British populations there is just so much variation, i cannot see how you'd find a useful distinction.
Out of interest, did you end up getting a licence yourself? We were discussing putting you on the HCT one. You sound like you're out a lot. It's important that your results get onto the national database and are put to good use for the conservation of the species.

cheers,
Chris
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 11:26am

Further to Chris GO's post please see my reply to the (now nearly a year old) topic re races. Although it sets out general principles re the differences between races (and they are pronounced enough so that most of us with experience can identify the race by appearance alone about 70% of the time) I have to agree with Chris re the difficulty in applying a universal rule. It can be no more than guidance. As I said in the post under the topic mentioned:-

"Having said this - every variation can be seen in every location. it would appear that the variations occur naturally and a combination of trace minerals in the habitat and natural selection (i.e. which pattern provides the best camouflage) are the determinants as much as the racial genes."

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 12:50pm

I was chatting with Emma Hutchings (sp?) from Marwell PT the other day, she mentioned they have somebody looking at the automated recognition of an individual L.a from a scanned pic, they are adapting the method used for Zebras (stripes). Maybe Chris G-O's student knows more?.

Assuming they are using a neural-net based system (that's a guess by me), the weightings may give some indication of racial differences. (just a thought).

When captive L.as are reintroduced...is stock from the appropriate race used ?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 1:26pm

That does sound interesting. Certainly Sand Lizard markings seem to be as individual as fingerprints and effective as an identification at this level. I am not so sure at race level because all variations can be seen in all races at some time. I doubt if it could improve much on the "expert's" identification.

Regarding re-introductions of La, yes, where it is clear what race would have been found in a given area then only the appropriate race is used. For example, Welsh re-intros being thus far restricted to the North & West use the Merseyside race as there is historical contiguity of suitable largely dune habitat. Further South there are areas where it is difficult to decide whether Surrey or Dorset animals are more appropriate but these two races are far more similar to each other anyway.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic