the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rushey Planed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:51pm
I'm gutted for you Rob. It really beggars belief the thinking behind ity. Did the know what was there and chose to ignore it or didn't they know ? Will you be taking the matter any further? It's a pity that private prosecution's can't be taken out against these t**ts to teach them a lesson and make others stop and think and take proper advice before giving the go ahead to these mad schemes in future.

Chris

tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:06pm
Maybe I'm being dim, but who did this work, and what was their motivation?  To make the place look better, to benefit other wildlife?

Would the resident herps have been killed directly during the clearing process, or would they have been displaced perhaps to die later due to lack of suitable cover?

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:32pm
Dear nat uk /Epping forest presevation agency.com or what ever you call your pathetic quango of incompetent twonks how can those grassy habitat tussucks ever be replaced??????? keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:54pm
I'm not sure who it could have been, but like Keith says, this area has been pretty well known in herp circles for holding various species so its difficult to imagine how the volunteers (or whoever) wouldn't have known.

Besides its obvious, if you have a clearing with good ground cover in the middle of a forest with ponds nearby, then to my mind, you don't go scraping down to top soil.

I can only think that the lizards, slow worms and Grassies attempted dispersal into the surrounding thick forest but most would have been taken by Buzzards, Crows, Pheasants - you name it.

I've asked Ian (Madfossa) to raise it with the volunteer coordinator as he's due to meet with them soon.

It will be interesting to get their feedback.

RobV
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:31pm
Another example for Paul Edgar. The SSSI has all the Essex herpetofauna as interest features in Epping. So is this sort of mismanagement a breach of the SSSI? 
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:38pm
Well,

I've just googled rushey plain and found this on the volunteers website - work at rushey plain on 6th May...

·  Sunday 29 April – Fairmead Pond
Leader: Spencer Cleminson
We will be coppicing willow from around the pond in order to open up the grassland.
Parking:
Fairmead Road CP;
GR: TQ 408968

·  Sunday 6 May – Rushey Plain
Leader: Peter Lyons
We will be continuing with our work at this core site in removing silver birch as part of the HLS Scheme.
Parking: Rushey Plain CP;
GR: TQ 414 985

·  Tuesday 15 May – Knighton Woods
Leader: Peter Lyons
We will be clearing an area around scarce fern in order to encouraged it to spread. This task has been highlighted by Ken Adams, local botanist.
Parking
Knighton Lane CP;
GR: TQ 408935

But then
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:43pm
I came across this dated 24th March, this year - before the volunteers had been there and it shows the work already having been undertaken!!

The mystery deepens?Confused

Clearing near Rushey Plain

near to High Beach, Essex, Great Britain

The Geograph Britain and Ireland project aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland, and you can be part of it.
Read more...

We have at least 4 images that match your query [Rushey Plain Epping] in the area! View them now

More sizes

I like this image!

I like this description!

Image Buckets
< =>Closeup
< =>CloseCrop (was Telephoto)
< =>Wideangle
< =>Landscape
< =>Arty
< =>Informative
< =>Aerial
< =>Indoor
< =>Subterranean
< =>Gone
< =>Temporary
< =>People
< =>Life
< =>Transport

IMPORTANT: Please read the Buckets Article before picking from this list

Clearing near Rushey Plain

An area where the trees have been thinned out in recent years.

Epping Forest

Epping Forest (formerly known as Waltham Forest) is an ancient woodland north-east of London. As a former royal forest dating from the 12th century, it is managed by the City of London Corporation.

The forest is 2,476 hectares in area, comprising woodland, grassland and open heath, forming a 19km long green corridor.

[abstract from Wikipedia article: Link
]

+ Further information

© Copyright Roger Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

year taken

Find out how to reuse this Image For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia.

Start a discussion on TQ4198

Suggest an update to this image

Contact the contributor

TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >

var cene = 541500; var cenn = 198500; var maph = 250; var mapw = 250; var mapb = 1; var static_host = 's0.geograph.org.uk'; var displayMarker1 = 1; var displayMarker2 = 1; document.images['map'].onmousemove = overlayHideMarkers; Grid Square

TQ4198, 40 images   (more nearby)

Photographer

Roger Jones   (find more nearby)

Image classification?

Geograph

Date Taken

Saturday, 24 March, 2012   (more nearby)

Submitted

Saturday, 24 March, 2012

Geographical Context

Woodland, Forest
RobV
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:23pm
Come on guys, no one will get in trouble for all this! It is very distressing if it is your patch but we've all had it happen in our localities. What strikes me is there is never a good hard look at what is there before it's all obliterated. I've known little patches which either had a flower that was only present in that one spot or were a hot spot for a particular butterfly every year (one very uncommon) - all cleared down by scraping that has ruined them. Funny thing is a lot of these scraped sites seem to grown back with bracken and yet that didn't seem obvious before.
I know of a large patch on a heath that was gorse and heather which was good for birds and reptiles but is now essentially a big lawn kept cropped by rabbits, and not much use for anything else.
Sadly big machines do big damage very quickly.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:28pm
I think Suzi you are correct and perhaps we'll leave that being the last word.

No one will ever be prosecuted for it, or even criticised beyond the confines of this forum.

We can appease each other knowing that there are at least a few other like minded individuals seeing the poor management in all these "attacks" (as that is how I'm going to think of them), but really, in reality, herps are way down the list.

And on that note, this is my 999th posting. I'm going to place my 1000th under Grass Snake as that's where the majority of my postings have been.

I have a message for you there.

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:38pm
just imagine if this was a stone curlew site of the rspb that got a good seeing to by a D9 do you think they would keep stum only open their gobs when their little world is F****d up ,but carry on doing big clearances with no regard to other wild life its about time someone informed them not only fluffy dicky birds live on heaths .keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic