the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reply Pending Approval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:35pm
Hiya
I have approved both the Camden Creature and Smooth Snake items. The only reason **I have not approved the natterjack post is that I am unable to find it - either within that forum or by searching for all posts by you. The problem should NOT re-occur. Many apologies, but, as I say, we have to beware of spammers and it is not easy to advance people's approval.

** I lied - on a second search I found it and now approved!
Regards
Chris

Edited by Iowarth - 06 Jul 2012 at 1:37pm
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:59pm
Hi Chris,

Is this system really working? I know the forum has a very long history of spamming, but we now have several new members who's posts have not been seen. It's not like I don't visit the site regularly as a moderator I simply have not seen them come up under new posts, so did not know they needed approval.

It also seems that the threads are no longer picked up by search engines? I'm not sure if this was another anti-spamming step but surely the point of the forum is to put out the message far and wide that we are here and at times voice our opinions? (Consider recent events at Allerthorpe, Epping Forest, people MUST know that these things happen over and over again and why we simply will not let these things pass when they could so easily be prevented)

It just seems to me if the measures put-off new members either through frustration waiting for an answer they do not get, or because they never see the threads in search engines, well to me it seems like the spammers win and we lose?

At the moment I still see spammers posts, removing them is just the same procedure as it ever was. Remembering back to when everyone could see them, several forum members were diligent in reporting them to admin through the report post option so the offending posts could be removed.

As annoying as the spamming is, I kind of think we shouldn't let such an issue affect new and genuine members? Especially when it may be a case that they need a rapid answer such as when finding an unidentified snake in the garden etc.

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 Jul 2012 at 3:04pm
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:15pm

Hi Gemma

I am inclined to agree with you - doubly so as I have just requested a forum upgrade which should address some of the spamming issues. The change I made was the result of a huge mass of spam arriving shortly after a certain ex-member left in a huff - coincidental I am sure. The current stuff is back to normal levels and appears to be largely Indian SEO companies!

Anyway, as soon as the upgrade is complete I will change some settings and we hope that will make a difference.

Not sure about the search engine aspect - certainly no intentional change there and we have google robot trawling even as I type! I shall have a look into this

Chris

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:44pm
Great news Chris, I should have known you would already be on top of things Thumbs Up

Can't imagine who the ex-member could have been that led to mass spamming, must have been some sort of deranged troll I guess Nuke Wink
Kogia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kogia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:46pm
Thanks for approving my posts, much appreciated.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm

It's a pleasure - I'm just sorry that our attempts to combat spam have proved to be so troublesome for you and other genuine new members.

Chris

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:59pm

The underlying software has now been updated.

There are numerous new features (mostly not usable or obvious to users) but it will take me a few days to get used to them. (It took me an hour just to restore the banner!). Amongst other things the forum itself will have some alternative settings designed to improve things for those who use smart-phones and such new-fangeld devices.

Spam management should also be improved - but, please, give me a few days to sort everything out!

Many thanks

Chris

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 5:57pm
Excellent Chris, noticed a few new features. Hard for people to see all the work that goes into this sort of thing, but having done it myself in the past your work is really appreciated Thumbs Up

I have a bit of a formatting bug using 'Google'

Top of the threads now appears as:

Otherwise all appears 'A' OK Wink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 6:31pm
Just to note Chris, if I rate the topic, then refresh it sorts itself out. I'm guess the white box should appear on mouse over or something, rather than being displayed on all topics the viewer hasn't rated yet?

Edited by GemmaJF - 09 Jul 2012 at 6:31pm
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 6:48pm

Thanks Gemma

The minor(?) snag here is that I can't duplicate the problem in Google - or indeed, any other browser. Makes it kinda difficult to establish the cause!

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic