the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reply Pending Approval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 7:48am
Oops didnt realise my attempt at humour would hit such a nerve. Ive never been hacked but can imagine it must be unnerving.

Change your passwords regularly, install a firewall and always change the router username and password from the default factory set one, and scan regularly for rootkits. the safest browser is Chrome.

Thanks for pointing out the "naming sites", i will be be more general in future or pm people
When you say "our" Reptile Ecologist do you mean Sussex Ecology? I would  be very interested to have a chat.
thanks for the welcome Wink

Ian

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 8:42am

Hi SE and Madfossa

Firstly, we have no reason to presume there are spies on here - Gemma was joking.

If there were, they could well be hackers since hackers can easily spy!

The software driving this forum is extremely robust and very well protected. So there is no reason to suppose that the forum has been hacked, nor is there any evidence to suggest this.

It is not possible for anyone on this forum, not even myself or the moderators, to modify posts/emails as you post them. This is down to one or more of a) spyware/trojan/virus on your PC(s), b) the use of an insecure or inadequate browser or c) a sticky key on your keyboard (or even your [Insert] key not being set). 

So far as a) above is concerned, the advice given by Madfossa is 100% accurate although I would mention that Firefox is also an extremely secure browser. 

So, like Madfossa, I have every sympathy for you - being hacked is, to say the least, a nerve-wracking experience. I can, however, assure you that it hasn't occurred via this forum. The most common causes of this are opening links in emails (always check the URL VERY carefully - most email clients will show you the real link address in the bar at the foot of the email client. If it doesn't match the typed link address there is a fair probability that it is potentially dangerous), followed by visits to 'naughty' websites.

All the best

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 7:08pm
Just to confirm I was joking, my silly sense of humour and concur with Chris that the forum is an extremely unlikely source of someone hacking your PC. 

Ian in your area Rob V is the man to talk to. Loughton is certainly a good spot for reptiles. I'm Maldon based, so if you are ever up this way I'll take you for a tour of local sites that we can't mention.
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
Thanks for that info Gemma will try and get in touch with Rob V and also for the invitation, which i will take up sometime Wink

I agree with all you (Chris) said about web safety. I should have added an addendum to the Chrome safety, its safe as long as you dont mind google searching though your emailsWink

Ian

sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Madfossa Madfossa wrote:

Oops didnt realise my attempt at humour would hit such a nerve. Ive never been hacked but can imagine it must be unnerving.

Change your passwords regularly, install a firewall and always change the router username and password from the default factory set one, and scan regularly for rootkits. the safest browser is Chrome.

Thanks for pointing out the "naming sites", i will be be more general in future or pm people
When you say "our" Reptile Ecologist do you mean Sussex Ecology? I would  be very interested to have a chat.
thanks for the welcome Wink

Ian

Thanks for your reply Ian

I don't know which one of my colleagues posted that message yesterday, but i am the Reptile Ecologist for Sussex Ecology. Happy to help in any way that i can...... I'm mostly around in the evenings around this sort of time.

Chat soon

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi SE and Madfossa

Firstly, we have no reason to presume there are spies on here - Gemma was joking.

If there were, they could well be hackers since hackers can easily spy!

The software driving this forum is extremely robust and very well protected. So there is no reason to suppose that the forum has been hacked, nor is there any evidence to suggest this.

It is not possible for anyone on this forum, not even myself or the moderators, to modify posts/emails as you post them. This is down to one or more of a) spyware/trojan/virus on your PC(s), b) the use of an insecure or inadequate browser or c) a sticky key on your keyboard (or even your [Insert] key not being set). 

So far as a) above is concerned, the advice given by Madfossa is 100% accurate although I would mention that Firefox is also an extremely secure browser. 

So, like Madfossa, I have every sympathy for you - being hacked is, to say the least, a nerve-wracking experience. I can, however, assure you that it hasn't occurred via this forum. The most common causes of this are opening links in emails (always check the URL VERY carefully - most email clients will show you the real link address in the bar at the foot of the email client. If it doesn't match the typed link address there is a fair probability that it is potentially dangerous), followed by visits to 'naughty' websites.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for this.

Must admit i mostly use FireFox for this site.

I don't know which one of my colleagues posted this message, but I can only apologise for this! Hope that nobody was offended by this post as the problem has been resolved.

Gemma has a good sense of humour and she has given me some very helpful advice regarding that very naughty client of mine Smile.  Chris has been helpful too though - so thanks.

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:56pm
Perhaps none of your colleagues posted it, perhaps it was the hacker? (I must stop now before I get anyone else in trouble) 

THE ABOVE COMMENT IS A JOKE Thumbs Up

Just as clarification regarding site naming, some sites are so well known it really doesn't matter, some are so sensitive (such as the sites Will monitors within Greater London) that nobody should name them on an open forum. You'll get a feel for it Ian, I think Loughton Camp is known by many for example and though I wouldn't go into the detail of exactly where, mentioning the site is not a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Perhaps none of your colleagues posted it, perhaps it was the hacker? (I must stop now before I get anyone else in trouble) 

THE ABOVE COMMENT IS A JOKE Thumbs Up

He, he Smile

Gemma, i love your sense of humor Smile. You know you should never take me seriously on this forum, or any of my colleagues seriously either.  Yes i had better stop too before i do the same. Wink

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Edited by sussexecology - 30 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 12:15am
I haven't read all this thread but can I just say that I started to use Chrome but stopped as a couple of sites that I visit regularly - this was one - do not display properly. I don't have a problem with Firefox or IE.
Suz
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 2:31pm
Thanks everyone, i'll be less specific from now onTongue, didnt reach (find) LC the other day but did find more c lizards in EF Smile, all recorded. Thanks for the offer of help HW (SussexEcology) will be in touch.
I use all the browsers, problems with viewing sites can be lazy coding and not testing pages, but they all process the code in a different way. I am using chrome atm on here and its fineSmile Horses for courses.
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic