the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reply Pending Approval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Adderz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reply Pending Approval
    Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:50pm
Hi there,

I wrote comments / replies for the threads I started "Late Spawning Common Toads" in the Common Toad forum and one in "Can Newt larvae move there gills" in the GCN forum, but despite posting fine before and after these 2 posts are only visible to me and say in the background "pending approval".

Can anyone explain?

Smile

Cheers

Rob 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left....
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:48pm

Hi Rob

The reason is that in an effort to stop spam, a certain number of posts have to be approved before they go automatically live. You should be OK now though.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 10:09pm
Hi,

I am also having the same problem. I have posted a few replies over the last few days which are still pendingConfused.
Whilst i understand the spam problem, its slightly discouraging to new members not to be given a "voice".
Ian
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 10:51pm
Hi Ian
Since you are obviously not a "spammer" I have upgraded your status so the problem should not be repeated.
I do appreciate the problem, but until I implemented this I was having to delete betwwen 20 and 30 spam and spammers daily - and I don't have that sort of time. Unfortunately I have only limited options for setting the status automatically and I and the moderators have to see and approve a certain number of posts before these settings can be over-ridden in appropriate cases. We have had a couple of instances where someone has made two or three apparently perfectly genuine posts and then suddenly become a spammer - so, frustrating as it is, I'm afraid we need to retain fairly stringent controls.
A further very frustrating problem is that like most people I use the "New Posts" feature to find posts and, of course, to approve them - but it is apparent that some posts do not appear using this method. I am pursuing this with the software providers.
All the best
Chris

Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 11:09pm
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for such a quick reply and I totally understand the annoyance of spammersAngry. I also appreciate the hard work you put in as a moderator Clap

I look forward to participating in the lively discussions.
Good luck with the "New posts" bug.

Ian
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:22pm
Hi Chris,
I'm being moderated again, is that normal? or are my posts that robotic?Wink
Ian
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:55pm

Hi Ian

I'm sorry mate - you REALLY, REALLY should be OK now!

<fingers crossed>

Chris

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 10:09am
Hi Ian, we think you are a spy LOL

No not really I'm sure Chris has fixed it, welcome to the forum, I'm already enjoying reading your posts.

Gemma
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 9:39pm
Hi Gemma,

Thanks for the welcome, touche with your postsSmile
Definitely not a spy ( but then a spy would say that)
I am interested to see youre the Essex county recorder for reptiles and amphibians. I have recently moved to essex (close to EF) and i'm starting to find a few reptile hotspots.
Any suggestions for searches elsewhere? I'm off to EF tomorrow, ive been told about adders up there.
I'm doing the narrs training on tues/wed and have already been allotted a 1km square
Ian

Edited by Madfossa - 31 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Madfossa Madfossa wrote:

Definitely not a spy ( but then a spy would say that)

Does that mean there are spies on here then?

Can spies on forums be hackers too then?

Wouldn't surprise me at all. We have had our computers hacked recently = which if there is a spy on here who is responsible for this, I would like to point out on behalf of SE that we don't find it amusing.

has anyone else found that their posts pn here (or even emails) get edited whilst you are writing eg letters removed from words so typos appear, words taken out of sentences. We have this problem on this forum (and on email) so if you are responsible for this hacker or spy whoever you are, please stop this because it is no longer funny or even amusing. We think we know who it is and we just need to prove it.

Also Ian - I wouldn't name sites where you know there are adders on such an open forum. Speak to our Reptile Ecologist if you want advice on finding adders though, as i am sure she will be able to point you in the right direction. I know that she is out on sites a lot this week,...inc sorting a reptile receptor site....but she is always happy to help. 

Good luck with narrs. Welcome to the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic