the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recording Program???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Dunlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recording Program???
    Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 9:36am

Is there a similar program for the PC out there that is used for recording amphibians and reptiles like what the Butterfly conservation people use for their transects?

Just wondering how people store/present their data???

Cheers
Colin

Ewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 2:00pm
Colin
You could try "Recorder 2002" from JNCC. There's a bit of a learning curve and it costs 30 pounds but it will allow you to upload straight to NBN and has plenty of useful features.
See their website:
http://nbn.org.uk/information/info.asp?Level1ID=1&Level2ID=1

There is also an email list here:

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/Recorder

Good luck

Ewan

Edited by Ewan
Ewan Shilland
Contract Research Scientist
Environmental Change Research Centre
University College London
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 9:07am
Here in South Wales, almost all recorders use MapMate (www.mapmate.co.uk). It's far easier to use than Recorder, has fewer bugs and you can do more with it.

Having said that, I'm the only recorder I know of who uses Recorder 2002, simply because I had a lot of practise at it a few years ago.

For a while, many people had been using Recorder, Mapmate or both, but in the same way that VHS won out over Betamax, which eventually became redundant, Mapmate has become the software of choice.

JNCC (and hence EN, CCW, SNH) push recorders to use Recorder 2000/2 because they invested so much money in developing it (1 million quid, so I hear), but at the end of the day it's crap.
Local Authority Ecologist
Colin Dunlop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Dunlop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2004 at 7:38am

Thanks very much!!!

I have ordered map mate and will be giving it a try, thanks again

colin

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic