Forum Description: A Forum for off-topic discussions
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4201
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+
Posted By: GemmaJF
Subject: So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:22pm
OK, it's overcast (again) the rain has stopped at least, but still a day in for me. Made me wonder as we all seem to be generally on the same sort of wave lengths how many members play guitar etc? I remember Al Hyde was a big Bowie fan and have come across his guitar tabs on the web in the past.

My main 'thing' is playing Goth guitar, though I have a wide taste in music I just love the sound of a clean electric guitar with open strings and unusual chords spliced with a distortion guitar playing power chords. 

So over to you guys...

Replies:
Posted By: tim hamlett
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:42pm
me and my brother when we were drunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKxv7sQibE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKxv7sQibE

tim

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:06pm
Clap Loved the Sultans of Swing and Oasis cover Wink

Posted By: KimLeaver
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:25pm
Fraud I can't play a stitch on anything but love virtually all types of music especially new music.
Kim

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:29pm
Just noticed my note above says fraud instead of fraid (don't you just love predictive text) grrrrrrr.

Posted By: Liz Heard
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:12pm
i strum guitar enough to write a skeletal song and can also blow a diatonic harmonica passably. played in 4 utterly 'uncommercial' bands down the years yet persevered enough to record 4 self-finananced albums of original material. inc some songs i stand by today.
usually best received in a "live" context, we've supported Hugh Cornwell (the Stranglers), Stiff Little Fingers, Tenpole Tudor, From The Jam, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, New Model Army + various other has-been oldies.
had a few favourable album/gig reviews from notable (and overly generous!!!!) writers.
John Robb (erstwhile NME);

http://louderthanwar.com/chinese-burn-great-punk-rock-from-stroud/

you might think its sh*te folks. well fair enough, lets hear your song then. give me equal opportunity to choose to be negative (or positive) about YOUR creativity.
and if you havent done anything then shut up cos something is always better than nothing.
well thats how i see it and it pays to have a thick skin too.LOL!

whilst my tastes also range wildly Gemma (Noel Coward to Crass) and i also rate (consider these Goth? has any band ever relished this tag?) The Cure, Siouxsie and Bauhaus plus your beloved Doors, it sounds like im at the other end of the scale to you.
i like instant, breezy singalong pop tunes (even rough ones) with arpeggio chords (less is more to me!) best.
esp if theyre armed with what i consider good lyrics -
goes without saying that music preferences are intensely personal eh?

fave band is Abba, fave snake is Adda.
(fave supermarket is Asda)

CB are playing at The Last Jubilee Festival (Bath Racecourse) next month if any noise-loving herpers are at a loose end!;
love to meet any member.

http://www.lastjubilee.co.uk/

all good renditions and especially enjoyed "Alison" Timbo but which guitarist is you??

sorry for long post again but you did ask Gemma!!!

cheers, ben

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:23pm
This weather could almost make me play a Neil Diamond song sung track.keith lol

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Ben, I really liked the video in the link. When I started getting into live music punk was still being played in pubs all over and I loved it. I spent a lot of time listening to the Stranglers (strangely I know someone who went out with Hugh Cornwell long after he left), Pistols and later stuff like the Subhumans. 

Your right no band relished the title 'Goth' but it was, I was and they can protest as much as they like LOL, the music defined an entire movement from the 'Proto Goth' of Joy Division/Birthday Party to its defining glory in the shape of the Sisters of Mercy. 

Nobody would deny being goth more than Andrew Eldritch of SoM - but the fact was all these bands were being supported by people like me with dyed black crimped hair and a bucket full of foundation on, we were goths, the bands were goth bands and that is how it was. 

It's hard to define quite how it happened when it did, a lot of us liked the Banshees and punk and the goth look was developing before the Sisters of Mercy even played at the early Uni gigs (possibly the look was mostly influenced by Siouxsie/The Damned), but I guess in all we were a bunch of people just waiting for our own bands and sound and they came in the form of the Sisters and later the Mission and Fields of the Nephilim and many others.

In all though there was a lot of using the same scales, chords and devices and that is now what defines to me 'Goth Guitar' in its own right, whether the bands like(d) the label or not - I mean if they insist in playing in Em with the chorus turned up full and using an e-bow, they are goths right?? Wink

PS have to own up, I rate Abba too, nobody can help but admire them in my opinion.

Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:59pm

Nice topic Gemma!

yes I used to play classic guitar, but sadly these days don't have time for this, and haven't played for such a long time. Would be keen to take it up again maybe

Very inspired by music though in general. More of a beatles fan at heart , but also like James Morrison, U2  and others. Music plays quite a big part of my life as i cannot work without music playing in the background (except when I am outside in the field of course!).

Seems to help my concentration when writing up reports - so if you see a badly written report of mine, it's not because I was tired that day, it was the music hadn't inspired me Smile.

I love the sound of classic guitar too, and could listen to John Williams for hours.

Good luck with the weather Gemma. Had same problems here with the rain, and today was written off and Friday doesn't look great either to be honest.

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:07pm
great work ben

someone invited me to join a faceboook group where people posted their fav tracks. i enjoyed it to start with but it soon became too difficult to keep up with new posts and there was a lot of stuff that wasn't my thing. 

may i propose we use this thread or start a new one where people are encouraged to post a maximum of one each per day, a track that for whatever reason they want to share with everyone?

as there have been a few mentions for them already, here's a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfqVDHNW6c - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfqVDHNW6c

tim

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:07pm
Oh Ben, just read your post Smile

Couldn't agree more!

Lyrics have to be good.

I left out Abba as being one of the bands that i love.  Dancing Queen is enough to put me in a good mood and makes me sing along too. Smile even if I can't keep up with the lyrics. Ah, the Doors = you see that is another one. Just so many decent bands to mention that I would be all day otherwise (or all night).

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Posted By: Testudo Man
Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:16pm
I cant play a guitar for peanutsEmbarrassed.

Whilst I admire anyone that can "rip it up" on an axe, Im more of a drums man myself.

Since Im an old fart(born in 63) and spent my youth in Auss. Its gotta be any early AC/DC for me(Scott on vocals)Wink love all their songs...one stands out for a guitar solo though..."Let there be rock" Clap I defy anyone not to like that, and the live version/video rocks!

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

great work ben

someone invited me to join a faceboook group where people posted their fav tracks. i enjoyed it to start with but it soon became too difficult to keep up with new posts and there was a lot of stuff that wasn't my thing. 

may i propose we use this thread or start a new one where people are encouraged to post a maximum of one each per day, a track that for whatever reason they want to share with everyone?

as there have been a few mentions for them already, here's a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfqVDHNW6c - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfqVDHNW6c

tim

Great idea Tim!

I'll post one on Friday to get us all in that Friday mood. Smile

You do realise now Tim and Gemma that I am probably going to spend more time on here listening to other people's tracks every day, than actually doing any work. But I will have it running in the background as i'm working and I would say that inspiration should be flowing faster than i can typeSmile

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:24am
Enjoyed the Stranglers Tim, about 7th down on the right hand side is a live version of hanging around from '78 that comes up, I've watched that about a billion times, really worth a listen.

How about a bit of FotN?

Massively underated in my humble opinion, Ennio Morricone meets dry ice, bags of flour and distortion guitar, been to many of their gigs, never fail to please Wink

PS it starts quietly and the intro lasts over 4 minutes so you have to bear with it Big smile

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:47am
Here's my Friday choice to get the blood pumping, try any track from Mountain"s live album. If you've not heard of them they were around for about three years in the very early seventies and the guitarist, Leslie West is absolutely awsome.
Kim

Posted By: liamrussell
Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:13am
The collection as of a couple of years ago. I do actually play them too...

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by liamrussell liamrussell wrote:

The collection as of a couple of years ago. I do actually play them too...

that is one impressive collection Liam.

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:34pm
Fantastic Liam and there was me thinking I was being extravagant wanting a new electric guitar to compliment my now aging and well worn Jackson PS-2! Is that an original National Duolian in the front row?

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Fantastic Liam and there was me thinking I was being extravagant wanting a new electric guitar to compliment my now aging and well worn Jackson PS-2! Is that an original National Duolian in the front row?

Yes, from 1932. I have also acquired a Style-0 since that picture was taken, but sold a couple in the picture to pay for it (not the Duolian, that's a keeper). The Gibson top left is for sale now if anyone is interestedWink

Gemma, I think one guitar is too few and you should certainly get another. Electric guitars are thin anyway so you can stack them two deep under the bed...

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 2:13pm
LOL Liam, I do also have an acoustic which is good for the old finger tips! Things kind of hit a wall for me though when I bought a Line 6 Spider Jam amp. Ideal for someone like me who just likes to play along with my favourite songs at home, though the problem is because of the way it processes the signal, it really doesn't matter what is plugged into it, it will still sound exactly the same on any given pre-set or custom sound. So bang goes an excuse to start collecting guitars. I have a few on my hit list though, top of the bill of my wants list  must be a Gretsch Tennessean, (as used at times by Robert Smith of the Cure and also Paul Wright of FotN)

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 2:24pm
I almost forget, another excuse for getting a Gretsch, as used by Poison Ivy 0f the Cramps

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:24pm
Is that piccy of you when you were younger Gemma LOL,Nice load of Guitars Liam I bought a rare old Cuban traditional Spanish classical a few year ago and the case flew open and of course it split it but it has a great low action so I kept it keith

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 5:07pm
@liam that's a pretty awesome guitar collection!!!

@gemma took a while to get going but as you say worth the investment.

something a little lighter but one of my all time favourites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-ftcqpNw - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-ftcqpNw

tim

Posted By: Robert V
Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:07pm
Hi all,

I would love to post a link to some tracks that i think are great, but I don't know how to post a link to You tube!

Liam, is that a Martin on the far left???

I can play a reasonable hotel california on my electro / acoustic and just keep myself happy strumming chords some evenings.

My fav guitarists were Stu Adamson (Skids and Big Country), obviously Joe Walsh and Don Felder and Lindsey Buckingham of the Mac.

fav solos - Emerald Thin Lizzy, Running down a dream - Tom Petty, or even tunnel of love Mark Knopfler all blood stirrers when behind the wheel.

R

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:17pm
To post a video click on the film strip Insert Movie in the full reply window (you get the full reply window by clicking on   ), and then paste the Youtube URL in the window that comes up.

I don't know if this had any influence on my love of aviation, but it is the first song I remember liking, I must have been about 2 when I first heard it, but it stuck forever:

Posted By: tim-f
Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:21pm
I've been a Purple fan since my teens, and seeing them at their first UK date after they re-formed in 1985 was just amazing.

This is them in their first incarnation early in their long and varied career, and it's certainly very different from their later material!  Pour yourself a glass of red wine, light that spliff and enjoy (or not).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbyCTPYVaU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbyCTPYVaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kbyCTPYVaU -
(I wonder how Ritchie's ego coped with just the neck of his guitar and his left arm being visible throughout?)

Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:55pm

LOL Gemma and Liam.....the old fingertips.  Yes, that is one thing I recall from playing classical guitar and would have to agree that electric guitar is much more finger-tip friendly.

Liam - if you are serious about selling, am potentially interested as I would love to learn again. Just depends on how much it is, and where you are based.....PM me when you got a moment, thanks.

this is a good thread you got here now Gemma. 

Sorry i didn't post a friday "feel good pop song" earlier. Just been a bit too bogged down with work today, but will do one on Tuesday to get other rauk members in the mood to going back to work after the bank holiday weekend.

By the way....more rain forecast for Saturday so no reptile-ing for me then;
great, that means i can spend more time on here then Smile
Sadly not............

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:26am
Yes weatherwise it looks like another weekend being spent churning out my versions of Villa Lobos or Rodrigios Concierto de Aranjuez to to the neighbours annoyance

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:47pm

ok guys, here is my choice for today

Working 9 to 5
, as sums up this past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKAA2VxWY8

Regards
HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 7:38pm
clicked on the arrow but i still cant see the 'film' icon Gemma!

mayday! mayday!

anyway further to your earlier Aviation-related and John Denver penned P,P+M tune, how about this un??? its in my top ten tracks ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XJ2GiR6Bo

hooks ya like a bramble bush, pulses like a frogs throat, poignant and thought-provoking subject matter.
yet no vocal chorus. just the same short 4 chord sequence looped throughout. kinda Bontempi Stooges.

wonderfully unusual CV for a true teen pop song by a pair of Scouse synth geeks i thought?

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:44am
Hearing Enola Gay always makes me think of this one:

Must be the line

"You are a khaki coloured bombadier it's Hiroshima that you're nearing" in the second verse.

I love Sparks, simply for being Sparks Big smile 

You're right Ben too about Enola Gay, it's an amazingly catchy and unusual pop song. 

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:49am

Love it Gemma

Nice little rocker, thanks for posting this

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:57pm

If you want /need to know how really cack you are playing the guitar, watch this. I stood next to this guy at the Hop Farm fest - he was there to see Newton Falkner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Here is my post suggestion for today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRegdR61DU

I absolutely love the guitar playing on this one. I'm not a boyzone fan but I would love this track. Such simple chords on the guitar and yet such a simple song.

I can also relate to the lyrics because it is for someone who is very much in love.  Time for me to reveal it then and is dedicated for a certain colleague of mine (he knows who he is Smile), But then I don't want to embarress either of us, as it's not very professional to make it known esp in front of clients. Mixing work and pleasure is never a good idea but you know it works for us.

@ Liam - am seriously thinking about learning to play guitar again and would welcome any tips as I have forgotten chords completely amongst other things.

Enjoy it Smile.

"I can't conceal this way I feel.....
"I think it's time for me to reveal it, because I believe it......"

"see what i am trying to say is, you make things better..
and no matter what the day is, if your're here, it's better".....

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

PS: Hope you can understand why I haven't put his name......

Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:09pm

Rob

I have kept quiet as I have the musical taste, appreciation, aptitude, skill and knowledge of a stone deaf kipper - but that is truly superb guitar work!

Chris

-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:42pm
Excellent clip Rob, I love it when the videos clearly show what the guitarist is doing Thumbs Up (Shame though it goes out of sink as mentioned in the write up)

Sorry SE - couldn't bring myself to listen to more than 2 bars of Boyzone, shame on me eh?

Here are my best tips for learning chords:

First learn Major, minor, augmented and diminished triads all over the fret board in different keys - if you take the 'book' approach of learning a handful of open chords first they don't make much sense.

When you learn all the triads (it isn't as much as it sounds as they are moveable forms), look at doubling notes in them to make chord shapes and you'll then have all the basic 'book' chords and understand where they came from.

When you get bored of that build triads on the notes of scales. (Harmonized Major and Minor scales are good place to start)

Then figure out how Seventh chords are built from the diatonic major and minor scales. Learn diminished chords, , ninths, suspended fourths, sixths, Elevenths and extended chords and Polychords.

before you know it there isn't much else to learn, other of course than spending the rest of your life figuring out how to use them in the best context LOL (or throwing all that learning away and buying an electric guitar and playing power chords all day long Smile)

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:09pm
Well it all sounds very happy in SE Land!  How exciting.  Though I don't think that even Boyzone can make good music about happy events.  For quality music you really need some quality misery, with a generous topping of angst.  If you've ever loved and lost, or loved and never had, then this might ... ahem ... strike a chord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-XZ_dN4Hc&feature=fvwrel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-XZ_dN4Hc&feature=fvwrel

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine" Broken Heart

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:23pm
Nice one tim, I think I've been missing out there, need to listen to a lot more Pearl Jam I think.

Whilst in doom and gloom mode, can't resist this one Wink

PS if that isn't the living proof that the Sisters of Mercy were a goth band I don't know what is LOL

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Gemma - glad you liked it.  I suggest you start with their first album "Ten".  If looking on YouTube, the tracks Alive, Jeremy, Even Flow, Porch, Garden etc.

(Hope that doesn't count as a double post for today.)

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 9:07pm
Thanks Tim I'll give those a listen Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:58pm

Thanks Gemma for the tips. Think it should come back to me I hope once I pick up a guitar again. The minors and majors is ringing some bells so will give that a go. Just my fingertips will be sore I know and lines will appear but well worth getting back into.

No worries on the boyzone theme though and understand completely. That track is the only one that I like, but i do think the guitar playing is simple. That's the kind of guitar playing that I wish I could still do. Many years ago I would have picked up the guitar and tried to copy it on hearing the song. I was pretty good at picking up chords too....Smile.

Used to do the same with beatle songs - which of course was the main reason I started to learn to play guitar (plus a bit of help from my brother).

Thanks Tim SmileHeart

And your right about Boyzone too!
I'm more of a Take That fan to be honest Embarrassed but love other music too.

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:55pm
To be honest it isn't the song, it is the fact it is Boyzone, I just hate the way music went from people with talent, ideas or just the shear audacity to get out there and do something to the manufactured bland consumables offered today.

I'm sure Tom Baxter (the guy who wrote the song) is a nice guy and meant it all though! 

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:13am
some great music and musicians on the thread already folks.

something melodic for a miserable bank holiday monday:

tim

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by sussexecology sussexecology wrote:

That's the kind of guitar playing that I wish I could still do. Many years ago I would have picked up the guitar and tried to copy it on hearing the song. I was pretty good at picking up chords too....Smile.

You'll still find it much easier after learning the triads in root position, 1st inversion and 2nd inversion, trust me I spent 10 years playing random chords before I got 'serious' and looked at the theory. I don't really regret that as I only play for pleasure, but when I looked back I did realise how much that approach held me back. In many ways it makes it harder to play the songs than it actually should be if that makes sense. When you know the triads back to front you can use 'economy' in your guitar playing and suddenly you'll be flying!

The song 'Better' is  C major and F major played with a Capo on the 3rd fret, the feels comes from lifting off the second finger on both chords to get the right rhythm and sound. The only other chord is a G but you'll hear that well enough. Certainly worth getting that guitar now I've told you how it is played, I'm sure it will impress your new man Wink (well apart from the permanent lines in your left hand fingertips and short nails LOL)

Oh well, it's a bank holiday, the weather showed some promise this morning, but clouded over at lunch time and now it is raining again.. so lets pep it up a bit! 

(and yes Jimmy Page I still want to marry you even if you are old and grey now!)

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:28pm
Yes Chris,

I agree, what a great build up to a climax. Very clever guitar work. But I also like people that squeeze out a unique sound from their machine, and that's why for me, Stu Adamson sounding like the bag pipes is right up there with the best, take a look, even with it lashing down with rain and water flooding his pick ups he stays un fazed. Brill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnUs_tLo4o - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnUs_tLo4o

R

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:29pm
And now time to chill a little.

Once again Mr Page is on fine form.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:47am
@Robert V -  not a Martin, I've never been a Martin fan so much - they sound a bit too 'nice' for me if you know what I mean... That guitar is actually a 1910s Supertone and sounded like crap (sold now).

So here is a few that inspire me....

Bukka White

Django Reinhardt -maybe not his best but the only bit of film I know of

Doc Watson - invented a whole style of guitar playing

This just goes to show you din't need to great guitar to make some great sounds (the best video ever on Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cRw6TIIg -

I think some folk here are more into the heavier stuff, so here is the best

and finally some lunacy...  "Lady, you ain't seen nothin'"

Posted By: Noodles
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:58pm

I like Clarence the ‘Funky Worm’ by the Ohio Players ‘Clarence plays guitar without any hands...’ (cos he’s a worm, brilliant!) You’ve got to listen to it.

Aside from Clarence on geetar, it’s gotta go to the Sticksmith at the rear any day. When I’m watching music my eyes are drawn to the drummer and god forbid any can or tin that comes my way at home (I’ve trained my son to play the drums on my face, he’s 20mths, it cracks me up!).

I bet there are loads of drummers on RAUK. Anyone into frogs, newts, snakes and lizards must be as mad as the Moon. Not to mention Bonham, but he’s too obvious. My personal favourate has got to be Jimmy Chamberlain (the rimshot king) of Smashing Pumkins notoriety. You just don’t hear the drums being used as an instrument that often and for that reason he must go into my Hall of Fame (along with Reni of The Stone Roses of course!) Now Clint Boon was mental on the Farfisa also....

As for a Pensmith not likely to get a mention here, Lee Mavers was amazing (the only writer to scare Noel Gallagher [apparently] due to his natural ability). Along with The Stranglers ‘Golden Brown’, ‘There She Goes’ must be one of the most strangely beautiful songs ever etched to analogue. However, as with many of the great talents (Ian Curtis RIP) their body of work is frustratingly void, further emphasising the holes they left behind. I won’t go into my taste in synth, it’s too broad, suffice to say The Orb, Plaid or The Black Dog (not Zep) are never far from the top of my (imaginary ipod) CD pile. I tend to play Tangerine Dream songs on the buttons of my dashboard when on long car journeys (why? because it’s fun pretending to be German).

Let’s have some favourite or great lyrics from people.

I always liked:

‘She’s a big freak, going to be freak of the week, she’s a disco loving mamma, at the disco’s where you’ll find her...she’s a dancing interpretation of the meaning of syncopation...don’t give her that one move groovalistic, that disco sadistic....the girl’s a freak, the girl never misses a beat whoo-oo-woo-ohhh’. The FUNKADELICS were just too damn funky for their own good!

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:11pm
Probably the lyrics that hit me the hardest of any song I ever heard:

When routine bites hard
And ambitions are low
And resentment rides high
But emotions won't grow
And we are changing our ways
Taking different roads

Love, love will tear us apart again..

Anyone who has been in a relationship knows what it feels like.

Well you did mention Ian Curtis and I kind of had this in mind for today's tune (strangely)

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:24am
Possibly my favourite all time song. At my sister in law's wedding i kept pestering the DJ to play it over and over again. He didn't though.

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:31pm
Strange DJ, what was wrong with him? Wink Possibly my all time fav as well, it never loses its power to effect me however many times I hear it.

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:10pm
Certainly a set of lyrics which I've always found to be powerful are by Mik and Keef

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a new born baby it just happens every day

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and must have it painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facin' up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you

If I look hard enough into the settin' sun
My love will laugh with me before the mornin' comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls go by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm,...

I wanna see it tainted, tainted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it tainted, tainted, tainted, tainted black

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:19pm
And I can't imagine many people on this earth that doesn't know what that sounds like, but just in case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJeYZkjmAk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJeYZkjmAk

Enjoy

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:02am
Nice one Rob, stands out from all the stuff the Stones did as a pure classic, among my all time most listened to songs.

so on with lyrics and there isn't a lot one can follow Paint it Black with, but this one may just cut it..

Hello darkness my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Date Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:13pm
i love old Stones and Sime and Garf too.

talking of the 60's, anyone else a Dylan fan? i still cant post links but if you want to see a young and handsome Bobbo deliver a wonderful performance of "With God On Our Side" on home turf (BBC, 1964),
its here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgAvnvXF9U

cheers!

Date Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:58pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^Link for Ben's video

Thumbs up too for Bob D, apparently a huge influence on Jimi Hendrix, so on that weak excuse:

Date Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:26pm
Finished with my woman
'cause she couldn't help me with my mind
People think I'm insane
because I am frowning all the time

All day long I think of things
but nothing seems to satisfy
Think I'll lose my mind
if I don't find something to pacify

Can you help me, occupy my brain?
Oh yeah
I need someone to show me
the things in life that I can't find
I can't see the things that make true happiness,
I must be blind

Make a joke and I will sigh
and you will laugh and I will cry
Happiness I cannot feel and
love to me is so unreal

And so as you hear these words
telling you now of my state
I tell you to enjoy life
I wish I could but it's too late

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:19am
Funnily enough one of my favourite boyhood bands 'The Inspiral Carpets' covered both Ozzy's Paranoid and the Stone's Gimme Shelter. Both great originals as well.

As for Dylan, i love some his words but find the voice a bit willowy when exposed to it for too long! 
'Love Minus Zero' is fantastic, although i'm certainly no Bobophile. I love the way he rolls his verses over on this one (and on many others i'm sure).

''My love is like some raven at the window with a broken wing'

Great Stuff

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:31am
That sounded insanely good after all these years Tim!

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:43pm
And if we're looking for really gritty lyrics Gemma, then look no further than the more than sombre song from the scots:

The Devil's Decade Lyrics

by http://www.maxilyrics.com/the-skids-lyrics-df92.html - The Skids

I never seen December
Look this bad before
The paper mill is closing
Death is on our shore
Mines are slowly turning
Brothers don't come home
Father lies still coughing
Releasing us a moan;

We stood by our union
Holding up the flag
The union stood by watching
While we buried dad
Mother doesn't talk now
Only to her soul
Children hungry children
Let the people know;

Christmas was upon us
Everyone was there
Christmas was upon us
With nothing left to share
The church was holding sermon
Ringing out a bell
We all prayed for mercy
Take us from this hell
Oh mother of mine
Release us from evil, oh show us a sign
Oh mother of mine
Your children are bleeding, please show us a sign
Oh mother of mine
Release us from evil, oh show us a sign
La, la, la, la, la, la, la

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:46pm
Interesting Rob.  I don't remember that one, I guess it wasn't one of their singles.

Some more lyrics from the "gritty realism" genre.  One of the first singles I ever bought - still love it.

Ade Edmonson and the Bad Shepherds do a good cover version.

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:32pm
bloody hell! you're a right bunch of miserable buggers aren't you lol!!! looks like it's down to me to lighten things a little:

tim

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:22pm
too light? ok as ben elton would say...heres "a little bit of politics"

tim

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:35pm
You know what guys, I was talking to my son tonight, he is now 14 and I was asking him what the big thing was in music for kids his age now, he said music had died. 

I don't know whether to feel really sad for him or really happy for all the fantastic music that has acted as a backdrop to my life... I grew up with a Mum who listened to Elvis and 'The Voice' (I still love Roy Orbison, if god came to earth and became a star, he would do at as Roy Orbison Big smile), had older brothers and sisters who introduced Led Zeppelin, Bowie and T-Rex, was old enough to pick up at 9 that Punk was special, fresh and would stay with me for a lifetime and then had my very own music in the form of what was without a doubt 'Goth'...  sorry Tim, I know you were trying to lighten things up a bit and I've always got time for a bit of Ian Dury, but as it's the day the music died..

My brother use to play this over and over, I think possibly the first song I learnt the lyrics to, it was years later I understood the whole meaning of each of the references.

On a brighter note (OK bad pun) it is a good job my poor son gets subjected to everything from Johnny Cash to Joy Division in the car isn't it? Each time I put in a new CD, the conversation goes along the lines of. 'what the **** is this?', within about 20 minutes he's enjoying it though LOL. Good job the music can't really die, it's all still there, years and years of fantastic music for him to discover. Thumbs Up (I think some Black Sabbath for next time we are out in the car is required, I actually don't know why but I think Heavy Rock/Metal might just be the one to get him to see music is far from dead)

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:45pm
a truly wonderful song on every level. someone will have to post vincent at some point too. looks like the tide has taken me already...

if you think things are bad with your son, my daughter likes justin bieber. i think i'd rather music had a quick clean death than a protracted tortuous demise. 

tim

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:48pm
As Tim Cheated and put up two tonight, (well it is Friday and we have all the weekend to catch up), we'll have to have a bit of Johnny Cash, love this cover of the Nine Inch Nails song, Hurt

And for anyone staying up here is some just plain weird:

Simply great though! (and if anyone hasn't seen the movie, like watch it NOW!)

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:50pm
Tim that is just too weird to believe!

You posted up Hurt, while I was putting together my post Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:53pm
PS I can honestly say I have no idea what Justin Beiber looks like or sounds like, though have heard that there are young people that mistakenly think he has talent - Oh dear I never thought I would get so old to say things like that lol.

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:12am
hmm...spooky

you're not missing anything regarding not knowing what bieber looks or sounds like although to be fair i think he can actually play a couple of instruments.

i grew up with older siblings too and i consider myself extremely fortunate that by the age of 10 i was listening to ian dury, squeeze, elvis costello, the skids and joe jackson etc rather than the pop music (whatever that was) of the time. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:27am
deliverance...buttock-clenchingly awesome!!!!!! hhmmmmmm...i feel a thread about favourite movie scenes coming on too lol. 

tim

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:36am
Perhaps somewhat challenging listening ...

... and probably not for fans of Justin Bieber.

Is music dead?  I don't think so, but I guess there's so much out there, that what fresh and original stuff there is tends to get hidden by the pap beloved by the masses.

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:56am
Hi TimF,

I don't think it was ever released as a single, it was on the Absolute Game album.

And I agree with what you've said Gemma, I also had five older brothers and growing up, anything from Roy Orbison (windsurfer!!!) to Status Quo ( mystery song about a guy trying to reform a prostitute to shag only him! Brill, love it)

And Tim, hey wow you have great atste in films Rio Bravo wasn't it? Great bit in that when Dean is sttill getting the alchohol jitters at the town entrance and he shoots the reins from the cocky blokes horse! Ex.

But music hasn't died. here is the "new" Bob Dylan and yes the words are sad Tim, but not in a bad way. The chords have to strike a chord otherwise music will die.

R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRY9N3Vzkrg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRY9N3Vzkrg

Cool

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:00am
And besides, Mr Gray possesses a fantastic collection of guitars and can play them a little bit better than Dylan ever could.

-------------
RobV

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:01pm
some great music and lyrics here folks. but theyre all other peoples.
any herper dare to "publish" something they wrote themselves??

maybe this aint Dylan or Mick n Keef etc etc but at least its my own work and i would hope that any unrequited love sufferers resigned to doomsday can at least relate to the sentiments of our bands latest flop....

DEFEATED, DEPLETED AND ALMOST DELETED

Suddenly my roadway is eroding
the stream that swept me has now frozen
i want this film to keep on rolling
but now the cinema is closing

Defeated, depleted and almost deleted

ive played my cards and now im folding
shes won the hand that i was holding
this plane cant fly with engines stalling
without a parachute im falling

(harmonica solo)

cant crack the meaning of her coding
shes a mystery that im not solving
i gave her bullets, shes been loading
im on death row, her guns revolving

Defeated, depleted and almost.................................

if you didnt rate that much then remember, this is a SONG (words AND tune) so maybe the melody will hook ya instead! LOL

got anything members? something herp-flavoured would be good!

i disagree with Robert tho, sorry.
i think that while there is still some 'trad fun' to be squeezed from the fruit, 4/4, 8 note rock music, as an establishment-rocking and revolutionary movement, is over.
derivative bands like The Vaccines cannot hope to have the same far-reaching cultural impact as Little Richard or Los Sex Pistoles.
its all been done.

the NME recently published a SP "anniversary" front page with a related major feature inside.
they wouldnt have needed to do that had there been anything as seminal nowadays.

Damien Hurst and Seth McFarlane cartoons push the envelope and make you think more in 2012. i think.

any thoughts anyone?

cheers, ben

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:25pm
Your right I think Ben, Rock is Dead:

Sorry I couldn't resist! 

I think to be honest 4/4 8 note rock music is far from dead, I actually think it will re-emerge, re-invent itself in time. My own view is it isn't the music, it's the people around at the time that make things happen. 

Would punk have worked if it wasn't for the fact there were thousands of kids around in the mid seventies with crap lives looking for any way out? I'm pretty sure the current generation of kids with their obsession with gizmos and everything NOW will have a few dissatisfied members who will be creative instead.

Marilyn Manson is I think a good example of the power of rock, appealing to a huge selection of displaced kids in the past decade or so.

PS the lyrics worked for me - never written any myself, I kind of made a decision to learn guitar before ever writing a song - trouble is that was well over 25 years ago and have not finished learning the damn thing yet Clown

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:12pm
Looks like Marilyn Manson killed the thread Embarrassed

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:31pm
It lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nRVwI37OI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nRVwI37OI

The highlight of Glastonbury last year was seeing her headlining the Acoustic Stage - just fantastic.

It always amuses me that MM's real name is Brian.

Sorry Ben, I'd love to post some music I've made, but I don't have any musical ability at all.  When are you next playing Bristol?  It'd be fun to come and watch, and maybe even meet a real live rock star.

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Well you might not have any musical ability Tim (that never stopped me enjoying it or playing it btw) but you can certainly pick a good tune. Suzanne Vega is yet another that has passed me by a bit so thanks for posting.

Yep it amuses me too that MM's real name is Brian. He comes across in interviews as a quiet intellectual type. Glad to say he is at least one artist my son likes quite a lot! (not that I had anything to do with, OK I'm lying btw, it started when I showed him the Rock is Dead video, the bad language had a lot of appeal straight off but I think it was the energy in the video that really caught his attention.)

Hard to follow the mood of Suzanne Vega, but such a thread can't be complete without a bit of this?

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:08pm
Hi Gemma, I'm generally not a big fan of Radiohead, but that video is pretty special.

Are you familiar with The Levellers?  This is quite a jolly one.

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:45pm
love this

tim

Date Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:48pm
Yep know the Levellers Tim. I'm big fan of the Fureys

'bout time we had The Jam on this thread too other Tim!

Date Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:20pm
If you don't like Radiohead, listen to their second to last album 'In Rainbows'. It's phenomenal and i'm not into Radiohead at all.

Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 9:51pm
Unhappy

Date Posted: 18 May 2012 at 1:19am
Thanks for posting Tim, sad news today Unhappy

Date Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:29pm
I would be interested in what people make of a bit of the Mission, frankly though they had and have a very loyal following I thought as a band very underrated:

Still to this day one of the best live bands I've ever had the good fortune to go and see. I still have a Jim Dunlop plectrum that Wayne Hussey put in my hand at a gig about 15 years ago Big smile

Date Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:00pm
loved the levellers and the fureys. love this too:

tim

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:04am
Yes sad news about Donna Summer.  As a hetrosexual bloke, I'm not sure if I should,  but I love "Hot Stuff".

I've never really heard much by The Mission, but I like this track, so will do some research.  I may have cracked a rib or two, so won't be doing anything very energetic today.

My offering for today - the unique and mad as a box of frogs Ms O'Connor.  I wish I could dance. Wink

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:22pm
If researching The Mission, best keep to the early days with Simon Hinkler on guitar. It was by far there most productive time. Glad to hear there is talk of the band reforming with 3 of the original members, including Hinkler, put Hussey and Hinkler together and music just happens. I would recommend, Wake, Garden of Delight, Serpents Kiss, Sacrilege, Severina, Wasteland and Tower of Strength from that period, there are others good tracks too but that will give you a start Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:59pm
of those i give thumbs up to 70's disco/funk -inc the late Donna - and the Pogues.
if you like the folky stuff Tim/Gemma, then check out Eric Bogle. among many varied classics (EG as a polar opposite he does humour very effectively too) he wrote - in my view - 2 of the best, most gut-wrenching anti-war songs ever;

"And The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda" (covered most famously by the Pogues)

and

"The Green Fields Of France (No Man's Land)" (covered by a multitude of artists).

nah. prefer the Sisters meself Gemma, sorry.
its them First And Last And Always.    

hey have you ever visited Dial House in Epping?
IE the communal home of Crass and an "open house" to visitors.
you win the right to stay the night by helping out with chores or teaching others something.
Penny Rimbaud (Crass drummer) seems such a wonderful guy. ive often thought that if i were in the area id call in and ask him if i could survey the garden for herps.
i KNOW hed say yes somehow.

cheers

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:14pm
Ah but it was Wayne Hussey who played guitar on the album First and Last and Always, so you are secret fan Ben lol.

No never visited the Dial House, though I know people who did hang out there at times. I went through a stage of squatting soon after leaving school, still remains the best 'education' I ever had LOL

Date Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:17pm
of all the 'prostitute falls in love with zombie' songs out there this has got to be my favourite!

tim

Date Posted: 20 May 2012 at 4:38am
Well I'm up ridiculously early this morning to take my little love to Silverstone today, so a nice tune for a very early Sunday morning:

Date Posted: 20 May 2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

of all the 'prostitute falls in love with zombie' songs

i too a LOVE a good "soundtrack/score" song Timbo (EG "Got to Pick a Pick a Pocket Or Two" from OLIVER! Lawrence of Arabia or the original "Jaws" theme)

nowadays when i hear this Disney classic i think that its the wrong way round.
it should be Mowgli wanting to be more like HIM. IE living sustainably within the natural habitat ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXGgDIj5KvA

and how about a herp-related tune for this thread?
what you think of Kaa's musically spellbinding and literally hypnotic "Trust In Me" from the same movie?
siouxsie covered it didnt she Gemma?
a brilliant ditty!
shame the snake is once again, depicted as a villain tho.

Date Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:57am
Indeed Siouxsie did cover Trust in Me, amazing how many people think it is a Banshees original, they must have no education if they never watched The Jungle Book LOL

If it comes to film music my contribution has to be some Ennio Morricone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0

As haunting a piece of music as one could ever wish to hear! Herp connection? Feels to me that I'm surrounded by rattle snakes when I listen to it.

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:11am

Unusal for me to be on here this late in the day (or early hours of the morning, depending on your view of which day it is). but here is my post for today (or yesterday)  to get everybody in a good mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhyz5xicJ0
should be once you've tasted love.....

Just been listening to this on my mp3 player while writing up reports earlier today (or yesterday evening), and gave me a blt of inspiration and is a feel-good player. Sorry about the band though!!!!

Apologies for not being on here on a more regular basis, but so bogged down with work at the moment. Have been reading some posts and think you got a great thread here now Gemma. Feel like some feel good music right now......

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:37pm
I almost went for the MM version of this song, then realized I had not heard the original for years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEh5pWjcWCg -

Well  not actually the original original, but certainly the cover most people know.

I'm feeling greedy today, so another, this came up in the listings when I watched Tainted Love, again covered by MM, and again this time the original:

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:46pm
glad you added the last comment. a lot of people think its a Soft Cell tune.

MMs version of the Ramones "The KKK Took My Baby Away" was pretty neat i thought.

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:52pm
MM rocks! I can't think of a cover he has done that I didn't like as much as the original, which generally isn't the case for me, I normally can't stand cover versions of songs. I've used up my quota for the day, how about posting up some Ramones Ben?

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:41pm
a couple of cracking tunes there gemma. was thinking about posting there must be an angel the other day myself. 

not the ramones but the undertones

Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:08pm
That was very distracting Tim, here I am transposing a Mission song and now all I can hear is that run down from D to Bm in the intro LOL Cracking tune that one Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk