URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4180
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 7:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Photographing lizards
Posted By: sussexecology
Subject: Photographing lizards
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 12:47am

Hello all

I wondered if anyone has got any tips on photographing lizards under refugia?

I tried to get one the other day, but only got half of the body.  My feeling is that you have to have the camera ready before you lift the refugia. 

have no problems photographing them when they are basking on top, but this week lizards have been found underneath refugia, and i need photos for the survey reports! I just want a decent picture to show to a client what a lizard looks like, and to show that they have been found on the site too.....Smile

Regards

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Replies:
Posted By: David Sanderson
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm
Hmm. Always a tricky one with Lizards. I've found it can be quite random. e.g last April in South Stack I found a bush full of them and when I held my hand out one actually walked onto it - However the other day in Cheshire even though it was only around 9-10 degrees they all moved like lightning making it impossible to photograph them...

Sorry I've just realised how unhelpful this post is...

Posted By: Noodles
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 4:00pm
Can you catch one and photo it?

Alternatively get there early when they're still cold. If you fold part of your roofing felt over, they often appear to spend the night hidden in the crease and are quite docile early in the morning.

P.S. i like the sound of a bush full of tame lizards!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm

Thanks guys.

Thanks David for that comment. I'm finding the same thing at the moment and in temps of about 8 degrees. Will try the hand trick though or get there much earlier Smile.  Good idea Noodles to try and catch one - will give that a go.

I like the idea of the bush full of lizards too!Smile

I put some refugia down and then went back to record the location of them on the GPS and to my amazement there was a lizard basking on top of one already. I wish i had my camera at that point, but typically I never have my camera when there is an opportunity like that!

Thanks again and will upload when I have a decent picture. Might take some time though Smile

Regards
hetty
SE Reptile Ecologist

Posted By: Madfossa
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
I have taken photos of grass snakes that were under refugia. Like the other replies it was very hit and miss.

My method was to have camera in one hand, focused at the approx distance, bend down camera at ready, with the other hand lift the refugia quickly and keep finger firmly pressed on the shutter.
managed to get a few Confused but quality of shots is never good

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
Well at least they are real shots not set up ones keith

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:58pm
You just have to train them well...

Zootoca vivipara sharpen

One from my garden, I only waited about 3 hours for it take up position directly in front of the lens. I don't think I've taken a better picture of a genuine in-situ common lizard since, this one dates back to 2005!

As for animals under felts, just catch them considering it is for the benefit of the client/recording purposes.

Posted By: Testudo Man
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by sussexecology sussexecology wrote:

Hello all

I wondered if anyone has got any tips on photographing lizards under refugia?

I tried to get one the other day, but only got half of the body.  My feeling is that you have to have the camera ready before you lift the refugia. 

have no problems photographing them when they are basking on top, but this week lizards have been found underneath refugia, and i need photos for the survey reports! I just want a decent picture to show to a client what a lizard looks like, and to show that they have been found on the site too.....Smile

Regards

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Whilst all of my photos are taken naturally, I have had a go at taking a pic whilst lifting refugia(not with much success thoughEmbarrassed).
You have to assume that when you lift the refugia, your reptile will be there(but only for a split second or two). So set your camera up first, and be prepared to shoot ASAP. Its not ideal conditons, its a bit hit an miss, but you might get lucky tooWink

Posted By: Testudo Man
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

You just have to train them well...

Zootoca vivipara sharpen

One from my garden, I only waited about 3 hours for it take up position directly in front of the lens. I don't think I've taken a better picture of a genuine in-situ common lizard since, this one dates back to 2005!

As for animals under felts, just catch them considering it is for the benefit of the client/recording purposes.

Nice lizard shotWink.

Hang on........I thought all UK wild reptile photos were taken in a genuine in-situ styleeBig smileWink

Posted By: Madfossa
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm
Beautiful photo Gemma Smile all my photos a genuine in-situ shots, you can tell because they are mostly mediocre Wink
Ian

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:40pm

Very nice picture Gemma

That one is basking though. You have got them well trained.

The basking ones are easy as you can creep on them and take a photo (as long as you move quietly and slowly and if they go, wait a few minutes and I can guarantee they will come back).

At the moment under the refugia , they are moving at frightening speeds even at low temps at 8 or 9 degrees.  Going earlier when it is cooler would be a much easier option or having the camera ready before I pick up the refugia.

I'll certainly have a go at catching them,  Wish we had been evolved with a third hand, because that would be so useful in these cases.Smile

Maybe it would be easier to just show a live lizard to a client - but you know they (lizards) are never there when you want them to be. Smile

Regards

SE Reptile Ecologist

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:32am
You should easily be able to take lizards from under felts in any temperature, especially at 8 or 9 degrees. 

The trick is to really believe there will be one there and as soon as you see one drop a cupped hand over it. Then use the other hand to 'pick' it out from under the cupped hand. If you hesitate and wait until your are sure you saw one it will have gone! Roll the felt back with the left hand and have the cupped right hand ready. 

Posted By: tim-f
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
Gemma, do you catch flies with chopsticks whilst blindfolded?  Maybe standing on one leg?

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
No, but I do have a reputation for being able to take lizards off the top of felts.. ..you either have it or you don't Wink

Jon C (Herpetologic) impresses me though, I've literally seen him run at animals in the open I hadn't even spotted and catch them Big smile

Posted By: AGILIS
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:59am
All my photos like most of us do are are taken are of wild insitu, as set ups in my opinion do not represent nature as it is . its ok having stage manage snaps for posters or book illustrations. Like Ians pics some time its hit and miss.keith

-------------
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm

Hi guys

Well, you would not believe my luck yesterday.

managed to get a decent picture of a lizard and they were so torpid that i could stand there for hours and photograph them.

Picture attached

It's not a great picture to be honest, but is the best one that came out.

Regards
HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

PS: seem to be having problems uploading photo. Will post as soon as I can as I am on lunch break at the moment. Thanks for all the tips though!

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

You should easily be able to take lizards from under felts in any temperature, especially at 8 or 9 degrees. 

The trick is to really believe there will be one there and as soon as you see one drop a cupped hand over it. Then use the other hand to 'pick' it out from under the cupped hand. If you hesitate and wait until your are sure you saw one it will have gone! Roll the felt back with the left hand and have the cupped right hand ready. 

Gemma, I was kidding about the third hand and catching them Smile. Always feel like I don't have enough time on my hands. LOL But guess that is just the nature of the job.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm

Ok, third attempt at uploading this photo.

Temps were about 12 degrees but had been raining all morning, and then the sun came out. This one was right on the very edge of some Onduline and seems to be clinging to the grass. Gemma - didn't need to catch this little one. Sat there posing for me for ages. Shame i had to pull myself away from it as I had to finish the survey, otherwise I would have stayed there for hours.

HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk