Print Page | Close Window

Glowworms and reptile refugia

Printed From: Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK
Category: General
Forum Name: Associated Fauna and Flora
Forum Description: A forum for plants, invertebrates and other animals associated with herpetofauna
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=395
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Glowworms and reptile refugia
Posted By: Herpetologic
Subject: Glowworms and reptile refugia
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 7:29pm

I have been finding that reptile refugia (tin or felt) have been used by glowworm larva. I have recorded glowworms in Sussex, Kent, Hampshire, Essex and Berkshire all underneath reptile refugia

In reading I found 9 larva under corrugated tins. Glowworm surveys are mainly focused on counting glowing females during July and August and ever since i found a larva in kent under a reptile refugia I have found them this year aswell. It may be a good way of looking out for glowworm sites.

I recently have found another site in Hertfordshire where glowworms are present on the remains of the old railway from London to Braintree. The railway has been cut through by the M11 and I am planning to survey along the Flitchway Country park for more glowworms oh and more reptiles!!!

Replies:
Posted By: calumma
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:14pm
Jon: I'm assuming that the herp records you collect in Kent will find their way to me at some point

Lee

-------------
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

mailto:recorder@calummaecologicalservices.co.uk - Email

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2003 at 8:51pm
i spoke about this today with Gemma on a site in NW Kent. We found a larval glow worm under a tin. Although i haven't kept a complete record of my glow worm observations, my impression is that larvae are more often encountered under refugia than adults.

Details of the UK glow worm recording scheme can be found http://website.lineone.net/~galaxypix/ - here .

Lee

-------------
Lee Brady

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2003 at 10:40am
I emailed Robin Scagell (who helps to collate glow worm records) regarding observations under refugia. He responded with the following and asked me to post it on the forum:

Hi Lee,

Thanks very much for the record and for the link.

I don't have any records from the [site you emailed me about] as far as I can remember. The apparent dearth of records from Kent is partly because the ones online are about 12 years out of date, but comparatively few have come in since then because I have not given major publicity to the survey. Back then I did the publicity on Radio 4 and BBC Wildlife, which brought in hundreds of reports. I have been too busy recently to add the more recent ones -- and I only put online those that are not in people's gardens, for example.

It's interesting that you have found so many larvae in this way, though it's a recognised way of finding them. I often look under bits of wood for larvae but even on known sites I don't usually find them. Presumably the refugia you refer to are pieces of corrguated iron or felt (roofing felt?) left around a site -- how big are they?

I would very much welcome grid refs for any sites where people find larvae in the future, or of course adults. You can find adults in this way as well but the season for them is much shorter than for larva which may account for the apparent lack of sightings. As glow worms are usually so visible compared with many other insects, we usually rely on the obvious night-time sightings.

What would be particularly useful is to find out how far the larvae are found from a known site where the adults are seen. Anecdotal evidence suggests that they can be some considerable distance on some sites (a couple or even a few hundred metres), though on others, such as road margins where there is tarmac on one side and a cultivated field on the other, they probably don't move more than a few yards throughout their life.

I'll pass your link on to John Tyler who as a Kent wildlife observer will also be interested.

Cheers

Robin Scagell

-------------
Lee Brady

Posted By: Herpetologic
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 8:12am

Lee

I have recently visited the site in Kent where I first found Glowworm Larva under reptile refugia. I have found 12 larva in a small area of grassland next to an ancient woodland. One refugia revealed five Glowworm larva. The survey results were 12 Glowworm larva, and 3 lizards (1 male and 2 young).

The size of the felt tiles are about 50cm by 50 cm and were positioned under tall stands of Broom. The results will be winging their way to you ASAP.

I will be looking out for glowing females next year and i will be trying to find the glowing larva at night this year if I can.

I have found larva in March and al the way to September.

regards

JC

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk