the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please can you identify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please can you identify
    Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:51pm

I saw this in the forest near Seaford in East Sussex. I am inclined to think it is a slow worm but it was nearly a metre long and the markings didnt seem quite right. Any thoughts please?
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:47pm
My first reaction was a slow worm but these are seldom more than 18 inches - maximum 21 inches. Unusual bu acceptable markings. Assuming your estimate of length was correct, did you notice if it appeared to have deep longitudinal creases on its flanks? If so then it will be an escapee glass lizard of some sort. Conceivably female sheltopusik and markings could be right for this but the head doesn't look large enough nor does the scalation look prominent enough.
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:51am
My bet is male slow worm and a big one! I think allowing for a little overestimate in length and the fact he has what looks like a complete tail that is my likely conclusion.

Edited by GemmaJF - 16 Aug 2017 at 4:15pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:02pm
I'd go for an old male slowworm with brown rather than blue spots on its flanks, as they sometimes do.  Lucky chap to have lived so long and not lost his tail.  But nearly 1m? wow!  must have been some beast!  If you happen upon it again, try to get a ruler next to it for scaleBig smile
seaford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:52pm
seaford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:53pm
This photo was a little closer

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:03pm
Definitely Slow Worm - I nice big specimen but I think you must have over-estimated the size - easily done.

Chris

seaford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:05pm
Thank you to every one much appreciated.
seaford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:07pm
Interestingly I can well accept an over estimate of size but he was certainly longer than 18 inches.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:12pm
I can well believe it, he's a lovely specimen with an intact tail. I believe the record in the UK is around 21 inches which would be an impressive animal.  The biggest I ever recorded was exactly 20", a female, and she was certainly impressive (and she bit me!)

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic