the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peering out from refugia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peering out from refugia
    Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 8:15pm
Hi folks.

not much to keep us going now is there?

so heres some themed Rt pics to (hopefully) warm ya cockles a little as Winter envelops - and Christmas threatens (eh Keith?) - us.
all captured in the garden on the same warm damp night (24 Oct) around 8pm.
i timed it just right eh?

also:

resting on the garden hose:

happily for me, in all but the harshest of climes, i can find Rt at any time of year here.
s

seen any last Slow Worms at the farm Suz?

cheers, Ben
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:31am
I checked today when the sun was beating down (!) and nowt. I even looked in the compost heaps under the plastic - nowt. I think they've hibernated now Ben, but I will keep looking. So 3rd week in November they held out to. I never would have thought it.

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 5:40pm
Walked past my pond today and something swirled off. I'm thinking frog. I have been out on recent mild nights with a torch but seen nothing.
Never mind snow, we've had flooded roads here from first light and plenty of rain in the daytime with few respites.
Suz
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm
We have had frogs strolling through our car port (a common toad migration route!) during the recent wet and mild nights as well as some activity in the pond. With the temperatures due over the next couple of weeks (at least!) I am expecting that to change dramatically!

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:55pm
in my pond (as usual) everything disappeared when the temp dropped, but just before Christmas there were plenty of frogs/newts about inc a pair frogs in amplexus.
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:51am
Overwintering newt larvae have been active in my garden pond through the winter- they've been swimming near the surface on pretty much every night that the water wasn't frozen.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:12pm
It was unfortunate that the frog I saw chose that day to be out and about, because we've not had a suitable day since really! Either ice or low temps and today 'broth' water so that would be no good either.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic