the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peak District Adders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peak District Adders
    Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:00pm
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have had this obssesion of looking for adders for the past four springs as its the only snake I havent seen in the uk and it has been illusive to me untill last week.
I live in the peak district and apparently it has a good population of adders, but of course we never see them, any way I came across a hibernacula last week on a cool frosty morning but the sun was shinning, I was out pretty early and stumbled across one basking in the sun, I just sat and watched it's behaviour for a while then after around 10 more minutes another one appeared from the heather next to it I couldn't believe it to be honest. I decided to have a look around the area as they were obviously sited in this particular spot and found four all within a few meters of one another.
The siting proper made my day and I have been to the site every day since, just to see if anyone else knew about it and to keep an I eye on the place really. The one thing that has played on my mind since the first siting is why there? I wouldn't have thought to look in this particular spot as a rule of thumb and I wouldnt have put them to be there.
I was wondering if anyone else knew of any more populated areas in the peaks as I am pretty keen to find more and try and understand there behaviour, you can PM me as I understand the protection of these creatures and rightfully so,the last thing I would wont is locations giving out to the general public.  

Many thanks Chris
Ben W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:21pm
Hi Chris,

Please can you report your siting and details to Chris Monk secretary of the DerbyshireARG you will find his contact at
http://www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Hopefully you may have found a new site in the area.

Ben

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:36pm
Chris if you have a look at the site and weigh up its features, that might help you to find somewhere else similar which has groups of adders.
I've seen groups of basking adders on East Devon heaths at this time of year, but I've no idea where a hibernaculum might be.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic