the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palmate or Smooth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palmate or Smooth?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2004 at 6:51pm

Sorry, no pics...just something I have wondered about for a long time. It is said that it is difficult to distinguish between females of the above mentioned species, but I have never found this to be the case. Where I live, Smooth newts have orange bellies with large spots, and Palmates have yellow bellies with none or a very few small spots..in addition, Palmate Newts here are always lighter coloured...maybe it's just my local population...any of you experts have trouble telling between the two?

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2004 at 4:54pm

Hi Donny,

I wouldn't have much problem telling them apart when in the hand, the difficulty of field identification relates more to torch survey when it is very difficult to be sure which you have seen without capture, or identification by inexperienced people.

I usually look at the throat, it's pinkier and more translucent in palmates and usually has very few or no spots.

I've seen the odd individual that I wasn't all that sure about, particularly in the terrestrial stage.

frogworlduk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogworlduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 7:51am
although its probably wrong i often find that smooth and palmates can betold apart by the lines of spots on the backs.smooths have two lines running down it with spots that are forming a near perfect line. whereas palmates have two lines with spots that don't touch and are all over the place.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic