the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number of clear trap days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number of clear trap days
    Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 4:23am
We are discussing how many clear trapping days (days where no animals caught)are needed to achieve 'reasonable effort' for removing slow-worms from a site using ACOs. Our SNCO has advised 10 clear visits, I gather the norm for road schemes is 5 clear visits, but we have been advised that HWM states that 7 is the minimum. I can't find this anywhere in HWM, so what do other people use as the number of clear trapping days, and based on what published advice?

Many thanks.
Local Authority Ecologist
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 4:52am

Matt,

As far as I am aware, there is no clear statistical evidence supporting a recommended number of CTDs. I've been doing some similar stats for HCT re Smooth snake, and its fairly complicated (factors such as meteorology and time tin has been in position etc all affect the results). Of course the factors are different across species.

I think the quoted figures have been published in a worthy attempt to 'standardise' survey approach, based on semi-empirical, and possibly subjective evidence.

Once NARRS has been running for about 5 years we will probably have sufficient data to estimate these figures with some degree of confidence. Sorry not to be more help.

(Wasn't it Froglife who published probable non-presence figures?)

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 1:38pm

5 clear capture days probably originated from the GCN mitigation guidleines. Though I have also heard it quoted in conjunction with Highways projects in reference to reptiles.

The advise I've been given by EN in the past is that ultimately it is the decission of the consultant as to whether sufficient capture effort has been applied.

I agree with this stance. For example I could feel that ACO capture had served its purpose and judge that the site should be destructively searched - should one wait for 5 - 10 days to carry on pointlessly checking cover objects if it is strongly felt that capture effort by ACO is no longer effective?

Be very interested to hear others views on this and also if there is any published reference for reptiles.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 1:52pm
Also, with ACO capture clear days should be defined as 'no observations' not 'no captures' technically - again a difference to pitfall trapping of GCN which are either in the trap or they are not - certainly not always the case with ACO capture work where a proportion will always be on the 'another day' list
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 4:51pm

Perhaps of some help, this is my preferred method of keeping a handle on reptile mitigation works. From an area of a current mitigation we are working on.

Temperatures have been reasonably constant during the capture period, there are a couple of obvious days where it rained heavily etc but I think in all it is pretty clear what is happening from the graph. We expect a new peak tomorrow (showers today, sun out tomorrow with max 18 c)- this will be very informative as conditions should be ideal for ACO obs.. certainly if the decline in observations in this area continues we will have a good indication we are nearing a point of diminishing return.

The more I think about this the  more I think a set number of CTDs is very arbitary for reptiles. Should we be looking towards using another criteria for 'reasonable effort'? Is it reasonable effort for example if in 10 days all that is observed is a single juvenile slow-worm? Can it be reasonable to carry on for a further 10 days just in case there is one more? A very interesting topic indeed.

PS we are not quite as bad at catching things as the graph might suggest, this is raw data that includes a number observations of juvenile lizards on ACOs in warm conditions so the same animals appear over and over as observations as opposed to captures - their day will come

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 3:57am
Ok Thanks,

As I thought, it doesn't seem to be written down anywhere. I agree that a set number of CTDs for reptiles is arbitary and subjective, but it would be helpful to have a guideline for this figure, as there are for other survey parameters.

Is there anything mentioned in Foster and Gent's Reptile Survey Methods? We don't have a copy here.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 3:35pm

I don't recall ENS No.27 addressing mitigation only survey methodology and can find no reference to CTDs briefly looking through the publication.

I don't always think these guidelines are always a good thing; I will be honest about this. I don't think it is good to be told I need to carry out site survey 20 times when I have made as full an assessment as I'm ever likely to in 7 visits just because someone happened to find the Froglife Advice Sheet 10 and decided to quote it without really understanding the content.

These decisions should be left to the consultant i.e. what is 'reasonable survey effort' and what is 'reasonable capture effort'. The real issue here is that more consultants working with reptiles ought to get a handle on the animalĘs basic ecology, perhaps then we won't need arbitrary rules.

(rant over )

PS we got the new peak for our graph at 9 animals for this area all lifestages/Af & Lv - an indication that capture effort is turning the tide but it ain't over yet..

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 11:48am
I think guidelines are helpful as long as they are treated as just that; guidelines and not rules carved in stone. We have to deal all too often with consultants who have, as you say, found a Froglife advice sheet and quote it without understanding the content.

I can't find any published reference to CTDs either. Turns out in this case that far from the HMW citing 7 CTDs as the norm, as the consultants claimed, they were in fact referring to the KRAG advice sheet (protected reptiles and dvlt) which says that there should be 7 survey visits to determine presence or likely absence. In other words, equating CTDs for reptile removal, to recommended site visits for initial presence/absence survey.

In this particular instance, as I expect is commonplace, the consultants are under considerable pressure from the developer to 'sign off' the site for the bulldozers. The impetus to complete surveys and translocations asap is sometimes at odds with following established methodology. Or at least, this pressure results in the consultant trying to exploit any ambiguity, latitude or contradiction in guidelines to complete the job with minimum time and effort, whereas we would prefer things to be done properly.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 3:47pm

Hi Matt, yes I know what goes on all too well.

I think the more usual approach for reptiles by most consultants is to book x amount of visits. Something between 60 and 80 being the norm. At the end of this time it is usual to regard that appropriate capture effort has been applied, rather than using CTDs.

I would like to hear from a few of our other members who are consultants as to their methods of reaching 'sign off'. My own experiences of working for other consultants in the past showed 'various' approaches.

The M+G policy is to book more than sufficient sessions, if we capture a site out before we complete all of them, so be it we charge the client for the completed sessions and the job is done. Many consultants will take the opposite approach of booking as few as possible when tendering for a contract in hope of getting the work, only then to book more or to run into problems with the number of animals on the site/size of the receptor area/client cost and time.. well you probably know the score!

It interests me a lot as a subject as I strongly believe that adequate initial survey is the key to avoiding all these problems on a site and it should be perfectly within the consultants ability to book an appropriate number of capture sessions based on site complexity/species/relative density etc.

Without being able to reach these conclusions from survey data how on earth can an appropriate receptor area be identified or appropriate capture effort appled? In other words how can the site be effectively mitigated at all?

sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 10:13pm
I realise that this is a bit out of date, but we tend to use a basis of 10 clear days in suitable weather conditions, followed by destructive searches. This worked on one project last year when we had more than 10 days that were clear and the destructive searches were negative.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic