the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Yorkshire Adders w015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Yorkshire Adders w015
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:38pm
These are from a site I have been working on for 30 years.

Its an upland moor and very exposed and with a small but stable population.

After last years accident I needed to get in some serious monitoring at the site and have been visiting since mid January.

heavy snow fall early february probably delayed early emergence slightly but the first male was still a week earlier than last year.

As soon as the snow started to melt and the snow came out the early male popped out and peered across the snow.

Over the next few days a fewc more came out and yesterday was the best february adders spotting at this site I have ever had with a total of 8 males in a neat little ball.

I'm currently doing a video of this site.

Anyway here are the images.

Image 1 at hibernacula 8th Feb
image 2 this male was around 50m from hibernacula on a bracken bank in full sunshine where the snow had melted quickly 8th Feb
Image 3 insitu of adder in image 2
Image 4 ball of adders yesterday as main hibernacula

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 3:29pm
fabulous post - well done on the photos as well as the 30 yrs of study / work !  I have my own favourite adder location on the N York Moors, but normally don't get a chance to look at this population til April.  I did find one in the snow a couple of years ago when the snow was still around in April - always a 'cool' sight!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 4:37pm
Excellent post, that looks like a very fine bracken adder site. Smile
slippery42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:26pm
hope you like the video when its done
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 9:37pm
Amazing photos! For a creature that needs warmth I'm always amazed to see adders in snow.
My parents lived in Yorkshire for 40 odd years, on a country estate. There were extensive moors which I spent time on but never saw adders. Lots of tales of particular places where they might be seen, had been seen, or once lived - but nothing materialised. Places always looked just right to me, but nope! Lucky you to have such a long association with a site.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:29pm
Looking forward to you posting the video slippery Smile
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:59pm
Great photos, especially liked the snake peeking out over the snow. Interesting observations indeed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:23pm
Well I am continuing with filming for the February adder diary and was out for a couple of hours this morning.

Problem was they were too warm by 10am and hiding.

Still manged around 15 short video clips and a few stills.

A total of 8 males within a 1m patch.

cool!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:26pm
Footnote

I am strongly against disturbance at any time of year.

These may seem close up "macro type" images however, I was a long sistasnce from the adders.

If you check the exif you will see I was using a crop sensor DSLR with a prime 300mm + matches 2x convertor.

This equated to around 800mm focal length

The reason for the info is someone having a pop at me :)

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 2:47pm
Lovely shots. Not many here who can't tell the difference between in-situ and posed shots, so I hope it wasn't anyone here having a pop at you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic