the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nice January fungi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nice January fungi
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:36pm
We don't seem to find anything too exciting, but thought this poor tree was pretty impressive today, not bad for Winter. Found it along the Royal Military Canal, Hythe, Kent.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm

Nice that you saw them in their - short-lived - prime too. Several species can often occur together, seemingly harmoniously sharing a stump, tree or log. In reality though, they are territorial within the wood and keep each other at bay with chemical deterrents.
The orangey ones above are edible Velvet Shanks Flammulina velutipes, the classic darkest-depths-of-winter fungus. A cultivar of which is served in Japanese restaurants (and sometimes also sold in supermarkets including TESCO's) under the name 'Enokitaki' or 'Enoki'.

The lower ones are Ink Caps, and judging by size and substrate, quite possibly Coprinellus micaceus - The Glistening Ink Cap, but I can't be sure. Quite a few of the (fairly numerous lookalike) Ink Cap species require microscopic examination of the spores and other features to reliably arrive at species level. However, if you look at GIC through a hand lens, you can see the glitter-like specks on the caps that gave the fungus it's name (providing they haven't been washed off by rain). If the mushrooms are very fresh, you can sometimes observe them with the naked eye.

Roll on 2019 frog breeding frenzy and spawn!

Edited by Liz Heard - 25 Jan 2019 at 6:56pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:32pm
Yes hurry up frogs! Went out to look in my ponds an hour ago as it's very mild here in East Devon at 10degC. I saw half a dozen palmate newts and heard a frog jump into one pond. Can't help feeling there will be some cold weather to come...
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:13am
A few frogs in the pond this evening, saw a couple who were ‘together’ (sorry, don’t know the correct term!)

Seems a little early as there was still snow on the ground 24hours previously, think the cold weather 3xpected early next week may cool them down a bit
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 2:02pm
I would think Suzy has a good chance of being the first to see and post photos of 2019 spawn, being in warm, damp Devon. Time will tell though!

"‘together’ (sorry, don’t know the correct term!)" - they are said to be in amplexus, which despite sounding like some kind of disorder, is just a fancy Latin word for 'embrace'
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 11:52am
I'm not sure I'll be first Ben! My ponds are in the shade until about Valentine's Day BUT the new one is in the sun anytime there is any. so hoping for some earlier spawn in there.
Temps have dropped here overnight and we even had some sleet first thing.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

I'm not sure I'll be first Ben! My ponds are in the shade until about Valentine's Day BUT the new one is in the sun anytime there is any

With lessons learned from the previous year (around 100 frogs and great big quivering swathes of spawn), i put up a temporary 'pond' to store any excess spawn. It was no more than an old liner placed on the patio and supported around the edges by a few loose house bricks, but in full sun and shallower than the adjacent 'proper' one.
The frogs immediately switched to it and this crap pond ending up staying there for a couple of years until i put in a second pool.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:32pm
Improvisation well done!
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic