the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Forum for Wildlife Gardening?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Forum for Wildlife Gardening?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 2:23pm
Hi to all and especially Chris!

Can we have a new forum section devoted to Wildlife Gardening?

There are moves to encourage more people to attract wildlife to gardens, such as this excellent website:

Plenty of members here have experience of attracting specifically herpetofauna, so I thought it might be good to give it a dedicated spot. Recent surveys have shown many gardeners would be willing to attract more wildlife but are not sure how to.

What do others think? 

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 7:31pm
Hi Gemma and everyone

Sorry for the delay - been frantically busy here! I certainly see no reason why not - at least some of our herps are actually becoming quite dependent on gardens for their continues survival (classic examples being the slowworm and common frog). And, of course, the sheer pleasure of seeing all the other wildlife that comes to suitable gardens is worth its weight in gold!

Any more opinions?

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:11pm
I think it's a good idea Gemma. Just to start the ball rolling, besides letting a part of your garden go wild, do think about connectivity and cover. If your creatures have to leg it (or slither) across lots of exposed surface - lawn or hard surface- they might not bother. Also have down some tin or Coroline sheets or bits of wood or logs for lying up or basking under.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 5:21pm
all for it!
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:26pm
OK everyone. It's there, in the "General" section. I'm sure you will all make excellent use of it.

Chris

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:09am
Thanks Chris, I think it will be a great resource for anyone contemplating attracting more wildlife to their gardens. I've a couple of ideas for threads to get it off the ground. Have to wait until the rain comes though, need to make the most of the weather this morning!! 

I've already picked up so much from other members regarding ideas for things, will be a good thing to have the suggestions all in one place rather than lost to the casual viewer in unrelated topics.

Just one more favour to ask, could you move the 'Clay Pond' thread into the new forum? I'll be restarting work on this project this year and I think it will fit in the Wildlife Garden forum well.

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 10:19am
Hi Gemma

Sorry for the delay - I was out all day playing (model) trains! At least, given the abysmal weather, I wasn't wasting valuable herping time!

As requested, Clay Ponds topic now moved to Wildlife Gardening - it does make sense!

All the best
Chris

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 12:39pm
Thanks Chris Smile
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
Hi Rob where have you moved Epping forest.? keith

Edited by AGILIS - 19 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 7:55pm
Hahaha,

yeah Keith, in a tree house!!!

I got my relum 22 and will be spying on anyone nicking the adders, I can get a clear shot from the branches lol
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic