the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 6:36am
hi tim and everyone,
that was a devastatingly-good gallery of eyeball magnets Tim.

if thats the standard i may as well throw my puny Olympus SP-800UZ in the bin.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:21am
'@ will - cheers will. tbh i from the quality of your pics i assumed you already used a dslr.' - Tim, you're too kind, it's an Olympus 'bridge' type camera (SP590UZ).  It's quite good for taking quick shots without having to worry about changing lenses etc, but certainly my pics don't have the 'wow' of yours! 
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm
tbh one of the reasons i delayed buying into an slr system for some time was because bridge cameras are getting so good. you and ben have produced some really good images with yours and versatility, convenience, ease of use and value for money are important considerations. 

tim
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:37am
Tim would I be right in saying your lens cost over £500? keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:46am
hi keith. 

i bought the camera new but lenses 2nd hand. the tamron cost me £299 (ebay). still a lot of money though which is why its taken me so long to finally take the plunge! a couple of 'windfalls' this year have helped too. 

cheers
tim
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:18am
Hi Tim I bet you feel a lot of pleasure when you use it, I have invested in a second hand canon eos 300d with a sigma 70x 300 great as you can stay back a bit and not scare things ,but I think your lens is far superior for close ups hence the high prices, looking forward to more great photos keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:52pm
hi keith...loads of pleasure. i am out in the garden every spare moment!

you have a very good camera there. i know its a lot of money but if you ever have a spare £200 you can get second hand tamron 90mms on ebay and they are super sharp. great for bugs and herps.

tim 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:12pm
hi all

managed to get out today. three female adders starting to look a bit fat. two grass snakes and five common lizards including three neos. unfortunately i couldn't get close enough to the snakes or clear enough shots of the others before they legged it! here's what i managed:

a couple more bug shots too:

cheers
tim
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:01am
terrific, Tim - were the adder pics taken with the same Tamron lens as used for the insects?  I guess what I'm asking is how far away from the subject can you get while still using the Tamron ?  one of the things which puts me off the DSLR route is the idea of having to change lenses in the field from one used at say 4-5m from an animal to one around 1m away, once you've done some careful stalking.  Would the Tamron be capable of taking pics further away as well as close-up? cheers, Will

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 12:20pm
hi will

yes adder pics taken with the tamron. i have a 70-300mm for more flexibility but would rather keep the tamron on the camera as much as possible. i have seen some excellent images taken with the 70-300mm by others though. i think i could have achieved sharper images of the snakes given a bit more time but i think they're ok as i was between 10 and 15ft away. hopefully some of the more experienced photographers will chip in at some point. a couple use the sigma 150mm macro and get some superb results. i think they will be better placed to answer your questions until i've used the kit longer. 

cheers
tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic