the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new camera
    Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:27pm
well, having previously declared myself completely ignorant regarding photography, i have become increasingly interested in it and finally entered the world of dslr last week. haven't been able to do any herping with it yet and have been pretty much restricted to what i can find in and around the garden. still have much to learn but its an encouraging start i think. hope you enjoy. 

some i.d.'s would also be appreciated.

cheers
tim
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:04pm
great pics Tim ,what did you opt for in the end?
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:20am
hi dave.

d7000. the lens is a tamron 180mm macro. can't wait to take it herping!

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:30pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Ooops sorry I have arachnophobia and that big hairy spider piccy just slowly opened in front of my eyes larger than life!

Great stuff Tim you are going to have a lot of fun with the new camera. I'll be looking forward to pictures of nice things like snakes LOL

Edited by GemmaJF - 12 Jul 2011 at 6:30pm
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:43pm
Absolutely cracking pics! Are you sure you are a beginner?

Your lovely spider is probably Araneus diadematus. Your moth is a five-spot Burnet. Your last fly looks like a dung fly.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:59pm
Tim, those are superb - even the dung fly looks beautiful!  I've always been skeptical about DSLR cameras, but I have to say I'm wavering now...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:56pm
great pics Tim.what lens is it keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:37pm
cheers guys. 

@ gemma - i'm afraid there'll probably be a few more bug pics before i manage to get out so shoot snakes so be warned!

@scale - cheers for the i.d.'s. i must confess to not being a total beginner. a couple of years ago i bought a decent p&s camera as i was getting into herps. i knew nothing about photography at the time but fairly soon i wanted something more challenging. luckily a friend lent me an old nikon d100 and some lenses which i have been practicing with while deciding whether i really wanted to invest in my own system. 

@ will - cheers will. tbh i from the quality of your pics i assumed you already used a dslr.

@ keith - the lens is a tamron 180mm macro. much less popular than sigma alternatives but at least as good imho. quite heavy and takes a bit of getting used to but all the above images were taken hand held with just the in camera flash and a £5 diffuser for extra light.

tim

tim

Edited by tim hamlett - 12 Jul 2011 at 10:38pm
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:25pm
Hi Tim,

terrific pics, the Tamron has pulled its socks up! Impressed.

I'd say the wasp is a germanica because of the yellow tibia.

The third fly down is a 'Green Bottle' blow fly - Lucilia Caesar - this is the nasty piece of work that lays eggs on living frogs - the maggots hatch on the back of the frog and enter the skull via the nasal passages while still alive!!

I think Scale's right on the last - and maybe Callifora Vicina for the one below the Green Bottle.

Rob
RobV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:45pm
cheers rob

Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

Hi Tim,

The third fly down is a 'Green Bottle' blow fly - Lucilia Caesar - this is the nasty piece of work that lays eggs on living frogs - the maggots hatch on the back of the frog and enter the skull via the nasal passages while still alive!!

Rob

mmm...all things bright and beautiful...isn't nature lovelyWink

tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic