the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New book may be of interest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New book may be of interest
    Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:43am
This is my book Cold Blood, published today. Part nature writing and part memoir, it tells the story of my childhood fascination with reptiles and amphibians, combining that story with observations about these animals in Britain now. One chapter was informed by an interview with Chris Davis about Sand Lizard reintroduction. At very least, I hope the book will raise public awareness of reptiles and amphibians a bit. It was reviewed in several of the papers last week, and will be a Radio 4 Book of the Week in July. 

Richard Kerridge

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 1:55pm
my copy is arriving tomorrow - looking forward to it!
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 7:00pm
ordered Smile
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:20am
me tooSmile
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:54am
My copy has been dispatched Smile

natrix5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natrix5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 7:47am
I haven't seen the book + I'm sure it is a good read. Unfortunately some rather negative stories seem to have appeared in some quarters yesterday. Haven't seen these first hand but in the Reptile section of Bird Forums apparently a page shouted "killer snakes on the loose in London capable of crushing small children to death" from the Daily Mirror + also mentioned in the Times.

Such nonsense but not good news for the Aesculapian Snakes. It's thought the mention of the 2 colonies of this benign snake in this much reviewed book (including Radio 4) being the source for these ridiculous hysterical headlines.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:51pm
I enjoyed it very much Richard; evocative, emotional and resonant of my own childhood visits to Studland, the Cumbrian coast and even to Hayes Common.  I hope it gets all the credit it deserves!
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:57pm
Thank you very much, Will. I am delighted.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:00am
My book describes the Aesculapians as 'entirely harmless', so it can't be the source of the scare stories. There have been several press stories about them before, and they have been described in other books as well. As Will points out, the story seems to flare up at some point every year. But, still, if my book has stirred up a general interest in reptiles and amphibians, perhaps I do bear some responsibility. I hope that the effect will now be the emergence of more accurate information, and there is some sign that this is happening. 
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:08pm
Shame this should coincide with the publishing of your book Richard. I'm sure all of us here would agree it will do more good than harm. 

I guess Aesculapian hysteria at least makes a change from the adder scare stories that usually fill the press from Easter to late summer. 

Looking forward to getting started on it. I have a feeling it's going to bring back plenty of the magic of my childhood memories from what I have heard so far. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic