the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

neotenous smooth newt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neotenous smooth newt
    Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:31pm
-from an artificial shallow pond within a National Trust property today - second photo shows a normal female behind the one with gills for scale; bit blurry!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:13pm
You were busy today Will, perhaps you should go where your wife wants to more often Wink
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:54pm
You don't mention the property Will but one property they got hold of had a large pond full of GCNs and the first thing they did (NT) was dig out the pond, which subsequently never held water and all the GCNs disappeared. I see your one was concrete. I am talking about 40 years ago now.
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:46pm
@Gemma - steady on! you'll be suggesting I start talking to her next!

@Suzi - this property has also suffered from some less than sympathetic management - the well known mirror pool used to have loads of GCN in it, but it's all been tidied up now and none remain...
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:27pm
cracking recent posts will. thanks for sharing.

hey, yesterday (by chance) i found myself travelling through Newdigate.
remembering there were Alpine Newts here, i thought id stop and see if i could track them down. i recalled reading that they were in the grounds of a fishery or garden centre and so, upon spotting a small aquatic establishment, i enquired within.
the manager informed me that they were found in a fishery 2 miles down the road but that, unfortunately, the place had now closed and public access was no longer possible.
tantalisingly however, he also told me that he had cleared out a couple of other ponds in the vicinity and found I alpestris and that, further, he also regularly found Marsh Frogs in his nursery.
needless to say, i had a good look around but alas, came away empty-handed.

cheers, ben
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:59pm
Thanks Ben.  Shame about Newdigate - I think the alpine newts remain well established in the area; maybe someone at SARG has up to date info?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic