the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Natterjack Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natterjacks Maybe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natterjacks Maybe
    Posted: 20 Mar 2005 at 3:16pm

On a walk today we spotted toad spawn in a local pond, allong with numerous mating couples.  The spawn was in single strands.  At the time I wasnt sure what distinguishes Natterajcks from Common toads, and therefore didnt get to look for the yellow stripes.  The pond was a permanent one, in a small wooded area, next to the sandy shoreline of the Mersey river at Hale Village.  As far as I know Natterjacks have never been sighted here, but are seen much further around the coastline at Formby.  What are the odds that they are Natterjacks?

manders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 10:04am

The wooded area is very very small and right next to the sandy shoreline allong the Mersey estuary, also the soil is very sandy in the surrounding area.  What got my interest orginally was the single strands of eggs rather than the double strands of common toads.  Now i've read a bit about them I will go back and see if i can positively ID them.  Also the male toads were noticeably smaller than the common frogs which were also there.

manders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 5:57pm

Youre right, just been down there to check, and they are definately common toads, also the spawn was stretched out, and caught around various roots and things under the water.  Slightly dissapointing, but I didnt know we had any type of toad so not a total disspaointment.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic