the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first frogs of 2018...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:16pm
Just spotted a clump of frog spawn in my smaller pond. This is earlier than last year. I'd already decided not to ladle spawn out and raise it in trays etc. It's a method I've had mixed success with and so I'll just let nature take its course. If it turns out no tadpoles make it I will have a rethink for next year.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
Great news Suzi. Was thinking the same this year, we don't have the usual space available for the trays, so going to see how the spawn does on its own in the pond. Counted first six frogs in the pond last night, wet but fairly mild here today, so expecting more soon.

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 6:31pm
I swear, there is a frog in there, first of the year! (in case you are wondering, he is between the two sets of tall plants Embarrassed

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:41pm
There were fourteen frogs in the small pond today. I know some of you get more than that, but it is the most I've ever had and is hugely exciting for me (saddo!). I've done some watching and recording today as they've been very active in the sunshine. 
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:36pm
I think i can see him (it's most likely male)

Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

There were fourteen frogs in the small pond today. I know some of you get more than that, but it is the most I've ever had and is hugely exciting for me (saddo!). I've done some watching and recording today as they've been very active in the sunshine. 

Well if you're a 'saddo' Suz, you're certainly not alone!
I audio recorded the croaking of the frogs i posted a pic of recently, but it was difficult to get close enough to achieve good results, especially since i couldn't stop long.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm
Planning on dong some filming if we get a nice day. I bought a Canon 7D a couple of years back, never really got to grips with using the video option, but filming the frogs is giving me some inspiration to give it a go (so another saddo lol) Was bursting Suz when I counted 19 loan males and 3 pairs in the pond tonight. It's not a big population being only the second year of breeding, but still very exciting for me to see so many. 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 5:38pm
Thought i'd share a couple of pics from last nights Caligula-like froggy orgy:

Think i can see 27 (any advance on that?) in this shot:

and 21 frogs in this one..

There were a number of animals moving about the garden too. I watched as the frog in the foreground spotted the one by the brush (itself perched upright on the lookout), changed direction and went over to investigate...

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:53pm
Brilliant! You've beat me. I saw 20 today. There were 12 in one pond and eight in another. By shuffling slowly I was able to look at both ponds without causing all the frogs to dive for cover. It seemed to me though that there were hardly any pairs and I wonder if the females have gone. 
I then dragged a plastic chair out and sat by the large pond watching for newts as well. Saw several palmates in the pond plants but no sign of any GCNs.
It has been very mild here - up to 15degC this afternoon. Thankfully the rain stopped and we got some sunshine.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm
Wow Ben fantastic. I noticed this last night too on the wildlife cam, several frogs including a pair jumped out and took a bit of wander round the garden was raining pretty steadily and then went back to the pond. Maybe it is like at a human party and when it all gets too noisy and busy, some frogs get out of the pond for a bit of chill time. LOL We are up to four pairs and still no spawn, getting harder to count the loan males but was 19 the other day. We did get hit pretty hard by the big chill though, so hoping there are more females still on the move and  yet to arrive.

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:41pm
no spawn last year for me and nothing yet this year. lovely to see all yours :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic