the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More goings on in Ash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More goings on in Ash
    Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 4:46pm

I returned once again to my spot in Ash this afternoon, and this time I went to the main favourite area.

This is a lovely spot , and i'd still go there just to soak up the atmosphere , even if there were no snakes. This flat heath is located at the top of a hill and is like a secluded little world free from people and woofers.

On the climb up the hill I stopped to take this quick in situ pic of a gravid common lizard.

At the top I saw a fem berus that was already on the move before I arrived . She quickly vanished into the braken.

Next I saw a 2 ft natrix , and instead of risking disturbing her/him I thought i'd sit down and do some observation.

At first she seemed uneasy , it was fairly breezey up there and I think she may have been getting the odd whiff that I was about.  After a couple of mins she settled down to bask in the braken , and nothing much happened for about 10-15 mins.

I squashed a horsefly that was just about to feed from my thigh , then squashed another that seemed intent on getting revenge for his late pal. The grassy still hadn't moved , and I thought,"Time for a pic". Just as I reached for my camera the breeze blew up , she/he flicked her tongue and wooshed orft into the braken.

Next I came back down the hill , took a pic of this guy-

- and came home

How about everyone else?

Alan

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 4:59pm

Hi Alan sounds like that day you've been waiting for for a while

Mervyn and I took a non herpy walk (as if) around some woodlands near Darenth after releasing the frogs elsewhere (more on that on the other thread), thought it was going to be a blank but we got nicely lost and came out in a meadow very close to the A2, fem common lizard and juvenile on a fence post

Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 5:12pm

Lost ?

My ........................

Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 5:44pm

LOL! Mervyn .... Who was navigating?. At least you found your way back though eh.

I seem to have no probs with my sense of direction.... it's my memory that fails me.  I seem to have no probs with my sense of direction....it's my memory that fails me. I have a sign above the mirror in our bedroom . an arrow points down and reads "This Ugly b........'s name is Alan Ahhhh so that's who I am! Just Kidding .

Seriously though , Glad to hear you had a good day and the fwoggys are released, good Job!

Tony , I bet your berus had his Big brother hiding round the corner in the heather , "Go on ..Go on ... You just try it "

Cheers,

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 6:21pm
Can You tell that I've spent the last 9 years at home raising the children?
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 12:13am
He was navigating of course, though I think it was me who said "I'm sure it's this way"
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 11:17am

Uh Huh.. uh Huh ... we'll say no more Gemma LOL!

Tony , Hi.

Please forgive my post above from yesterday , i was in no way mocking your observation ,just in one those moods., Sorry.

Mind you , I think sometimes prey can just sense when it safe to behave in a relaxed fashion. I remember offering rodents to captive snakes at times when they obviously not hungry(or fasting). The mouse/rat/ lizard soon seemed to realise that it was in no danger ,and they run around the viv as if it's their new home . Often they'll sit and wash/bask on the snakes back ! I'm sure you've seen this yourself.

Another thought is that ,the prey calls the snakes bluff by behaving in an over confident way, intimidating the snake so it is reluctant to try it on. Again , anyone like yourself that has worked with captive reptiles has seen this. You put the live mouse into the enclosure and the snake rushes forward in a feeding response. Next thing, the mouse, bold as brass walks straight up to the snake nose to nose, and from then on the snake won't touch it.

Maybe your berus just knew it was in no danger on this occasion?

Cheers,

Alan

Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 10:02pm

Navigation:

Gemma driving, me looking at map. I say "turn right at the T junction Gemma"

Gemma said "Which right?"

Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 10:03pm
Logical enough, he usually has the map upside down
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 10:29pm

LOL! .

Sarah's driving , she say's," You did phone and take down directions ...yes?" I reply ,"Of course" . Sarah then asks , "and this place is in Wiltshire ,right?" I reply ,"Yup, That's right".

We arrive in Wiltshire .Sarah asks, "Ok ....where do we go from here?" I say ,(nervously),"I don't know". "Well.. look at the directions then ". (I tremble) "Eeeer , I can't" *There is a pause of silence, and my mouth goes dry* . " You left the directions at home ..... didn't you?"  I turn and give Sarah my bestest 'puppy dog I'm sorry look'............*Another long pause of silence*............ "OOOOOW!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic