the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marsh Frog Identification & Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marsh Frog Identification & Sightings
    Posted: 05 Oct 2003 at 11:39am

A description and images of the Marsh Frog Rana ridibunda may be found at:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/marsh_frog.htm

® Lee Alan Fairclough/ONEWILDWORLD LTD 2003

Edited by administrator
chas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 2:08pm

Does anyone out there have any info. on the earliest dates of calling or spawning in the marsh frog -- even approx. (it's to assist some research)?

Many Thanks!

Charles Snell
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 1:33pm
While speaking to a friend from thelincs trust I was given an interesting account about the presence of green frogs at Tophill Low (E. Yorks reservoir, Yorkshire water). A couple of years ago he and Chris Mattison were at the reserve at a bird hide when Chris heard "Marsh Frogs" calling. They saw frogs calling in open water but the range was considerable. Chris was addament that the calls were marsh frogs. A quick trawl on the NBN gateway placed a record of Edible frogs only a few miles from this site. To me this strikes as a likely source of the frogs at Tophill (the area is well linked by drains). So... does anyone know of the historic origins of the edible frogs there? (not far from Hull, the site on NBN looks to be in the area formerly north humberside). I'm basing this on the assumption that the calls of the lessonae, ridibunda, esculenta complex are similar enough to be easily confused as I've only heard marsh frogs.

Regards, Lee.

Edited by -LAF
Lee Fairclough
chas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 3:31pm

Lee, the calls are distinct - I expect Chris M. would have given a correct ID. There may be no connection then between the 2 populations.

A marsh frog call can be heard at  http://waterfrogs.csit.fsu.edu/PBhtmls/ridibunda.html#voice

This site has the other water frog calls for comparison

Charles Snell
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:22am
Thanks for the info Chas. I'll be in that neck of the woods this month so will visit Tophill and keep my ears open.

Regards, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2005 at 4:54am

Julia Wycherley's papers in The BHS Bulletin and British Wildlife may help

Regards

Jon

soberhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soberhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:38am

Hello

I don't know anything about frogs, although I started to do some research when I heard a very strange noise from the vicinity of our garden pond earlier this week.  I checked in various sources and the sound seemed to be like the recording of a Marsh Frog, but from what I've read, it was not likely in this area (East Yorkshire).

However, I stumbled across this message thread and it mentions TopHill Low Reservoir in East Yorkshire.  That is only a couple of fields away from our property (maybe 1 mile in a straight line).

I have managed to see it (at a distance of about 10 feet) and have a couple of photos, but still don't know what type of frog it is.  If anyone can identify it from the picture, I'd be happy to forward it by email.

[ Incidentally - how long is it likely to keep up this noise !!! ]

Cherryl

Cherryl Smith
Wilfholme, East Yorkshire
soberhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soberhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2005 at 7:53am

Kristi - Thanks for your informative reply, it much appreciated and has been very helpfull with advice as requested.

Cherryl Smith
Wilfholme, East Yorkshire
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2005 at 10:31am

Hi Cheryl,

People often report marsh frogs as a noisey species, mail me the picture using the link 'contact admin' at the top of the page and I'll get an ID for you.

PS Not sure what Kristi's problem is, but I hope they won't bother to rejoin RAUK

Edited by GemmaJF
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 10:54am
I didn't realise, until recently joining this great site, that Marsh frogs are apparently in water bodies, reservoires, or whatever, around Heathrow airport. Seen as aviation is pretty much my only other big interest, besides wildlife & railways, i wouldn't mind knowing which is possibly the best populated Heathrow site to go & take a little look on my next visit to Heathrow. Is it around about now that Marsh frogs in this country spawn, & if so, about when are they froglets? On Med' holidays i love the noisy racket of frogs such as Marsh frogs. I presume at places like Heathrow they're likely to be in full chorus during this hot weather, are they?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic